My 7.3 engine build

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've had a slight back burner project going and finally decided to get a bit of input on it that being said this is what I'm after
I want reliability first and foremost. enough power to pull 20k in the mountains and not get run over also an overdrive so I can go faster than 55 mph
What I have a 1986 f350 idi with a 6.9 and a t19 trans also I have a hypermax turbo kit on it
The build
I have a 7.3 low miles
Several turbo options and a gear vendor that needs rebuild
My plans are to rebuild the 7.3 and studd the heads then build a kit to install a h1c and intercool and top it off with a built IP from Wes iv also been thinking about a spray of water **** to cool things a bit then put the vendor behind it all if I can't get a zf5 am I missing anything

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked thease 2 turbos up for 200 the bigger is good no shaft playand I seen Run the smaller needs a rebuild has a tiny bit of shaft play the super small snail shell is of my wife's Jetta pic was taken to show size for wife lol
You must be registered for see images attach

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you have now for gear ratio? My 93 2x dually has 4.10 , factory turbo, ZF close ratio trans, factory size tires. Can easy run down the road 75, get 15 empty. My equipment trailer loaded am pulling 18-20 k . granted on the hills we have it pulls down on a long pull, but on level pulls as fast as I want. Hope you project works out good for you.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 4.10s and am running 33 inch tires been looking for some 3.73s but that's later down the road and the truck right now runs great I can pull homestake pass in 4th the whole way to Butte with my 9k camptrailer but I'm looking for more power an hopefully a bit more fuel mileage

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is your top end right now and mileage now? You might regret the 3.73s I would go with the overdrive or ZF first if it was me.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now my mileage is mid 14 and not to sure on top end but as my tach is a bit on the fritz but she is wound pretty tight at 65

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I agree I would like a Zf5 more than gearing I could get .Zf6 but not sire what it would take to mount to a idi

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I agree I would like a Zf5 more than gearing I could get .Zf6 but not sire what it would take to mount to a idi

My understanding is that the ZF6 isn't worth the trouble unless you have one already. The only difference as far as I know is there is another gear in the spread so you lose less RPM between shifts. It's not a double overdrive.

ZF5 on the other hand bolts right in and gives you overdrive so that one's a no brainier.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea about the gear vendor like rebuilds they seem to be pretty hush hush as far as parts for them but have herd thay the clutches in them are the same as a turbo 400

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the gear vendor AND a WIde ratio zf5 would work pretty good. And 4.10 gear
What does the gear vender have direct and over or an under to.

When I first got my 93 dually it had the wide ratio, was great on the road empty, but for what I pull loaded, 18 to 20k it was no good. Rebuilt the trans and made it a close ratio , pulls great now and run down the road 75 easy ,has 4.10 too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Black dawg

Reaction score

When I first got my 93 dually it had the wide ratio, was great on the road empty, but for what I pull loaded, 18 to 20k it was no good. Rebuilt the trans and made it a close ratio , pulls great now and run down the road 75 easy ,has 4.10 too.

Using the gv to split the wide ratios works good, and unloaded double OD would be real nice.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys sorry I planned on jumping on posting about the motor but nothing has happened I had to take a trip South my dad was in the hospital that old man went into icu took 4 stints in the pump and was still yelling at me for driving 11 hour to see him lol anyways I haven't done anything yet but get hurt plowing snow today so tomorrow I want to get the top end off at least and see what the cylinders look like on my 7.3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online