my 7.3 build, part 1?

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so this is gunna be slow. i work by myself in my free time. and i don't need my truck every day. i'm open to suggestions. this is my first diesel build. and i really want this thing to be reliable towing.

history: this a 93 factory turbo. the truck has 260k. the engine is a ford rebuild with 140k. i use this truck for truck stuff: hauling scrap, hauling wood and steel and towing my trail truck. that load is usually 8k. i'm really hoping to built a small RV for the front of a larger flat bed. this will be more like 12k with the flatbed, RV and bronco. so if i can get the engine to where i want i can keep this truck for a wile. or else i have to sell it and get something much less economical.

all i have for pictures right now is from the day i bought the truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

the plan:
moose pump
moose misters
4" intake - looking for ways to get real cold air, cowl hood maybe?
'99 7.3 intercooler
2.5" intercooler piping
bigger turbo - right now i'm thinking larger cold side wheel
home made 3" downpipe and elbow - with 3" v-band
4" powerstroke exhaust
all the up pipes and exhaust manifolds are getting blasted and ceramic coated. i might get a turbo blanket. the factory heat shielding really made a difference. i don't want to deal with the way it was attatched. but i don't want to lose it's benefit.

i don't wanna 'break the seal' on the engine just yet. mostly cause i don't have a covered work area. and i've never gone that far into an engine.
that said i have ARP studs and a set of head gaskets on the shelf. if this set of mods doesn't get me where i want to be then the heads are coming off getting ported and gasketed, a new cam is going in and studs are holding it all back together.

so far i've got the pump, injectors, return lines, air filter, exhaust, intake, intercooler, piping, new lift pump, exhaust gaskets and ARP studs ordered.

i'm still waiting on type4 for turbo help and rebuild +. also i'm looking for a different ceramic coater. the one i found that is local is terrible about timelines and returning phone calls. i need some silicone boots, intake hat, and maybe a new turbo mount. also if anyone has a timing meter they want to sell i'm looking for one.

i should have some pictures of parts all over my garage floor soon.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so this is gunna be slow. i work by myself in my free time. and i don't need my truck every day. i'm open to suggestions. this is my first diesel build. and i really want this thing to be reliable towing.

history: this a 93 factory turbo. the truck has 260k. the engine is a ford rebuild with 140k. i use this truck for truck stuff: hauling scrap, hauling wood and steel and towing my trail truck. that load is usually 8k. i'm really hoping to built a small RV for the front of a larger flat bed. this will be more like 12k with the flatbed, RV and bronco. so if i can get the engine to where i want i can keep this truck for a wile. or else i have to sell it and get something much less economical.

all i have for pictures right now is from the day i bought the truck.

the plan:
moose pump
moose misters
4" intake - looking for ways to get real cold air, cowl hood maybe?
'99 7.3 intercooler
2.5" intercooler piping
bigger turbo - right now i'm thinking larger cold side wheel
home made 3" downpipe and elbow - with 3" v-band
4" powerstroke exhaust
all the up pipes and exhaust manifolds are getting blasted and ceramic coated. i might get a turbo blanket. the factory heat shielding really made a difference. i don't want to deal with the way it was attatched. but i don't want to lose it's benefit.

i don't wanna 'break the seal' on the engine just yet. mostly cause i don't have a covered work area. and i've never gone that far into an engine.
that said i have ARP studs and a set of head gaskets on the shelf. if this set of mods doesn't get me where i want to be then the heads are coming off getting ported and gasketed, a new cam is going in and studs are holding it all back together.

so far i've got the pump, injectors, return lines, air filter, exhaust, intake, intercooler, piping, new lift pump, exhaust gaskets and ARP studs ordered.

i'm still waiting on type4 for turbo help and rebuild +. also i'm looking for a different ceramic coater. the one i found that is local is terrible about timelines and returning phone calls. i need some silicone boots, intake hat, and maybe a new turbo mount. also if anyone has a timing meter they want to sell i'm looking for one.

i should have some pictures of parts all over my garage floor soon.

You said you are putting in a new cam, are you gonna put in a typ4 cam? Good down low towing power. :sly

Also, since you have the studs coming you might as well put um on now. Cus won't you have to take the ip off snd other stuff off if you had to go back and do them later? Idk I just think it would be easier when you have everything apart to begin with. Just my $.02.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which banks turbo?

I have enough parts for one more intake hat, it is 3" inlet.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
intercooler is in the mail. turbo is going to typ4 tomorrow for a rebuild and 60-1 compressor wheel.

i've looked at the costs and i'm deciding to wait for head gaskets, head studs, cam, head port work, exhaust manifold port and ceramic coating for round 2. i have to pick the stuff i can afford right now and then re-evaluate what else is needed later.

once i get the new exhaust modded to fit i'll have the stock stuff for sale. dido with the turbo intake and hat. i'm looking for a carb type elbow for turbocharged blow through apps.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which banks turbo?

I have enough parts for one more intake hat, it is 3" inlet.

If you are asking me? I have a '92 idi banks wastegated turbo....would love to know if there are upgrades for it. Im about 2 shakes away from going with a straight six:mad:

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found a cool turbo sizing simulator. it's for barg warner turbos and doesn't have any garret stuff listed but it can give you some ball park stuff. it also has a horsepower and torque estimate section.

http://www.turbodriven.com/en/performanceturbos/matchbot.aspx?a=1

i played with it a bunch over the last few days. there are a lot of variables at work in this system. make sure to mouse over the little blue dots next to the titles for each row of inputs. there are examples and standard ranges for each. and there are examples for turbo diesels. i really think everyone thinks these engines are more volumetrically efficient than they are.

updates on the build: got most of the pinch weld bent out of the way after work yesterday. also got the turbo mailed, and a few bronco parts sold.

got some estimates on ceramic coating back from a local place. i'm not gunna be able to coat everything. since i wanna gasket match my manifolds and i have to mod the turbo elbow for the 3" v-band i think that stuff might get left till part 2. just as a point of reference it's about $250 to get the exhaust manifolds blasted and coated. everything else is custom quote based on length.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i guess i should update this. no pictures today but i should get some tomorrow.

it's been over 100 degrees every day since my last post. it was 106 today. i got the front end taken apart for the intercooler instal. i had to mod the brackets for my grill guard. i got the exhaust routing figured out. i think i can make one cut and twist and get the location i want for everything. my moose pump is built and Mel found me a set of moose misters. now sure how he did it but i'm pumped!

tomorrow i'm cutting the holes in the core support for the intercooler. i should get started on the intercooler pipe routing. i got 2.5" tubing but i'm having a hard time finding the boots i need. we'll see how it goes once i know exactly what i need. i should be able to swap in the stainless wire for my welder and get the exhaust all fixed up. and tack the intercooler pipes.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a 7.3 intercooler in mine, I made custom brackets, I have pics if you want em'.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea if you have pictures post um up. all my references for this are from a powerstroke truck.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the pictures. you got lucky not having to move that vertical bar infront of the a/c condenser. i had to remove that bar and bend the brackets for the a/c condenser to get it closer to the radiator. the brackets for my grill guard stick out too much to keep it. even after i cut an inch plus off of them. and you got to keep your lower radiator mount bolts. i'm 95% sure i'm gunna have to lose those in order to keep my sway bar. i'm looking at making some spacers for the sway bar mount to move it down. but i'm not sure the links will work. i just have to get out there and cycle some things. not pictures yet.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got some this done. got the intercooler mounts made and most of my piping figured out. i'll pick up my moose pump tomorrow. already got my return line kit from typ4. i got the factory injection pump out earlier this week. i have a few pictures but there always seam like too few.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am gonna weld some aluminum angles together for my intercooler pipe. I will post pics when done if you want to see em'?

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score

that is what the area where the intercooler hose fit.

i had to cut the vertical support out of the front.

that wasn't enough so i flattenned the brackets for the a/c condenser. i had to slot the holes to get everything to line up.

this was my first stab at how much to remove. i had to take out a bit more to pivot the intercooler into place. but if you make your brackets bolt on you wont have to worry about that.

my lower mounts. i cut about .25" off the inner side of the lower mount on the intercooler. it made it a bit easier to get everythign to line up. you could avoid this by cutting more out of the core support or making bolt on lower mounts.

and you get this:

i'll get some studs welded into the top of the core support later.