my 7.3 build, part 1?

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so i thought i should show yall the info and ideas with the turbo elbo.

You must be registered for see images attach

measure twice, cut once. i put the elbow, outlet down, on a table and set a sharpy on an altoids box. then turned the elbow, keeping it flat on the table, to get the cut line just right all the way around.

that thing is tiny no wonder these trucks are slow

the elbow is big enough here.i'll do some porting after i get the new v-band end welded on. the weld should give me the space to get a full 3" id.

the turbo outlet size.

new v-band

for comparison.

i'll put the welding info in the next post.

i didn't want the power stroke exhaust getting in the way when i put my 4 link and air bags on this truck. if i ever get around to that. so i had it end sooner. i used half the kit's tail pipe. the rest of it got sold or used for the new intake pipe.

i moved the muffler mounting bracket forward one crossmember. i drilled a few holes and trimmed the bracket to fit around the carrier bearing.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i also gasket matched the up pipe.

it had over and 1/8" on both sides that sticking out into the air path.

fixed

edit: sorry the focus is so bad. the macro setting on my camera doesn't seem to work.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet build and thread. I wanted to dump my exhaust like that but chickened out and left it out back (used a 4" tail pipe off a late-model Super Duty). You able to keep everything clean back there with that?

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
papa: i doubt it'll stay clean. but maybe it'll motivate me to wash the truck more often.

88: there is a lot of meat in the casting but i think that diameter is determined by the turbo hot side wheel outlet size. my main focus is to keep the diameter of the airway consistent. when i get my turbo back i'll have to do some playdough testing to see what the pathway looks like there.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
88: there is a lot of meat in the casting but i think that diameter is determined by the turbo hot side wheel outlet size. my main focus is to keep the diameter of the airway consistent. when i get my turbo back i'll have to do some playdough testing to see what the pathway looks like there.

Gotta make it flow to keep things cool. Lol. :sly

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
small update.

got the stainless v-band thingy welded to the cast something turbo elbow. i used Ni55 solid wire. with co2 argon mix sheilding gas. this was based on no real procedure. i usually see people welding cast steel to mild steel with Ni99. that stuff is super $$. and i see a lot of guys weld cast steel to mild steel with regular er70 wire. so i split the difference. sorta. i preheated the cast with map gas. i wasn't going for red hot or anything. then set the welder too not (i bumped it after the test weld) and welded in short steps. i'm no pro welder. i'm unsteady and iin general inconsistent with pipe welding.

the weldment moved around a lot the v-band thingy is prety flat but i guess my tacks didn't hold well so i had a lot of work to do inside. it's all plenty thick, i think. if i have any trouble with it i'll just grind it all off and try with different wire or a better trigger finger.

i also got my parts for my intake hat. the factory intake hat is 2" ID to match the little turbo outlet. i feel that's another one of the bottle necks in the factory system. so i think matching my 3" ID intercooler pipes is probley better. intake velocity must just crash when that thing dumps into the intake manifold. a note on me and air flow. i know enough to be dangerous. there are a lot of guys that know a lot more than me.

5" pipe cap. steel. it's nearly flat so there should be no turbo clearance problems. also it might need some machine work to get it perfect. if this all doesn't work i'll just get something else. 3" sch40 4.5"r elbow. lots of meat so i can get the transition between them some sort of smoothness. also it's thick enough i can just grind a ridge in it for the boot to hold on to

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update: good and bad news from typ4. my turbo is gettingn shipped out today! also it turns out i had a version 2 turbo. not the stage 3 that the factory 93 trucks usually get. the stage 2 is smaller. anyway so the turbo upgrade should be huge.

i finally found the stainless wire so i can get the 3" v-band welded to the rest of the powerstroke downpipe.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its looking good man. And as far as a stage 2 goes, I think I saw mentioned a few times about an ATS 090 turbo. Maybe that is what that turbo is?

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all i know is what typ4 told me. maybe he can come in and enlighten us further.

i know my truck has a rebuilt motor from ford. so maybe it's got some mix and match parts. even though it is a '93.

in other news i got my dually pickup axle. trying to find some decent aluminum wheels for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online