my 7.3 build, part 1?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Fair enough. But why would you get rid of your truck? :( Jk. But you might like it if you did it right now. It might make it a completely different acting truck.

mostly if it keeps taking money from me i will have to cut it loose. i am sure i would like it right now but i would like to figure out why my glow plugs are running way long and why i have **** poor brakes.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mostly if it keeps taking money from me i will have to cut it loose. i am sure i would like it right now but i would like to figure out why my glow plugs are running way long and why i have **** poor brakes.

Idk why your glow plugs would be doing that but it might be your controller. Just an idea. :dunno You could try to switch your setup to a switch maybe. And the brakes should be pretty easy too. Could they be out of brake fluid or need bled maybe. Have you looked at um yet?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Idk why your glow plugs would be doing that but it might be your controller. Just an idea. :dunno You could try to switch your setup to a switch maybe. And the brakes should be pretty easy too. Could they be out of brake fluid or need bled maybe. Have you looked at um yet?

i suspect controller for the plugs.

here is my thread for my breaks.....
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52552

wmoguy

Reaction score
Its is capable of producing a lil more boost without heating it up as much cus the compressor is more efficient. It is capable of iirc 20psi efficiently where as stock can only push 15psi efficiently.

I'd disagree. I'm getting surge on mine at 15 psi unless I'm loaded heavy or climbing a hill empty. 20 psi would make the thrust bearing go boom

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some weekends end up getting lost. this was one of those. i've been at the office all weekend. 12 hr days. and i get to go back now. ugg

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok update: gunna wait on the intercooler piping. i need the truck soon. i'm trying to prime the fuel system. what are the odds that the low pressure pump was completely dead and the truck still ran? i'm getting no pressure at the fuel filter head when cranking now. i need help.

i did make some progress: got the turbo hot side gasket matched. only one side was done in this picture.
You must be registered for see images attach

i'm putting all the gauges in and getting the wires and plumbing in for those.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's dark. but i'll get to them tomorrow. i want to get some fuel pressure first. does the low pressure pump self prime? i've run this truck out of fuel before but it's never taken anywhere near this long. i replaced the fuel filter and filled it with fresh fuel. all the return lines are new. there is no fuel pressure at the filter head when cranking. although there is fuel there.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok at the end of my patience here.

pulled the mechanical lift pump - it pumps air great
got my new one out of the carter box - it's a rebuild, not a carter and it doesn't pump. the arms moves and nothing happens
the fuel line from the tank was dry.
the hard line from the lift pump to the filter head was dry.
i HATE electric fuel pumps.
i hate the tank select switch/valve - i've put in a new one. it apears to have died after less than 6months.
the fuel tank cap does not hold pressure. and if you apply pressure to the tank vent you get fuel out of the filler cap in large quantities and none going to the engine.

i need more than 15 gal of fuel. i need a lift pump that works without cranking the truck. i want the fuel filter somewhere else.

sorry had to vent.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ordered: CRT-P4594 and fuel pump block off plate
gunna measure all my tools i keep in the truck today and figure out which in bed tank or tank and tool box combo i need. that one is gunna hurt.

got to pull the rear tank to get the pickups and submersible line out. then pull the tank select valve. gunna put the electric pump back there. fuel pressure gauge is getting mounted on the cowl outside the truck. i'm a scaredycat with fuel in the passenger compartment. and the isolation kits are $100. the fuel filter is gunna get moved to the frame rail with the pump. it'll get a prefilter too. probly the same filter as the factory one. i'm gunna have to figure out all the fittings and plumbing needed. my aux tank should get here after the holidays. then i get to pull the bed cap, pull the plastic liner, mount the goose hitch, mount the aux tank, remount tool box, plumb in the aux tank and try to bleed the system again. did i mention that i didn't want to mess with all this stuff. it's taken long enough to get this far. o well

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the idea. i'll need the slightly smaller ones. i need to stick my set up under the cab. there are going to be other things under the bed there. got a part number or vehicle? my napa is now reliant on the computers and can't just "get me a fuel filter for a big truck" :mad:

i was looking at medium size filters with a clear bowl. but they were for tractors and stationary tanks. any reason not to get one of those? other than it's a bit tall? http://www.amazon.com/Goldenrod-Water-Block-Fuel-Filter-Fittings/dp/B0002YQSQ4

i'm looking at transfer tanks right now. can't decide how much fuel i need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online