Moving Saturday

Fordman1920032003

Reaction score
Is the truck a daily driver? If so i wouldnt worry too much, but a good dot style inspection wouldnt hurt. Check tires, lug nuts, spare, all lights, brake pad condition, spare fuel filter and additive of choice, trans fluid, extra windshield washer fluid plus whats already been mentioned. Also dont bury the jack and spare when you load up.

Last edited:

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the truck a daily driver? If so i wouldnt worry too much, but a good dot style instection wouldnt hurt. Check tires, lud nuts, spare, all lights, brake pad condition, spare fuel filter and additive of choice, trans fluid, extra windshield washer fluid plus whats already been mentioned. Also dont bury the jack and spare when you load up.
Was my daily for a long while. I drive it most days now running errands. Brakes don't have too much distance on them and the shoes look even still. Didn't think about the washer fluid, guess it may get a tad dusty. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

groovemonster

Reaction score
you can't plan for EVERYTHING - just most things. I'd say you have most things covered but my guess is the IDI ain't gonna give you any trouble!

Mine sat for a year in Michigan. I replaced the batteries 2 days before I drove it straight to lower Alabama fully loaded with absolutely no problems!

Keep us posted

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check your u joints and make sure they are free and greased. A dry u joint will go for years running errands, but will cause major problems quickly on a long road trip.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you already have fresh fuel filters, but I wouldn't leave home on a trip without a spare or two. They always seem to plug up at the worst time, typically after you've filled up somewhere remote and are a dozen or so miles down the road.

A jerry can in the bed full of fuel wouldn't hurt to have either.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Greased the fronts and the rears are fresh. I have a new set of fronts I didn't have time for and spares for the rear.

@Booyah45828 Ill grab another filter if Oreillys has one on the way out. Thanks for the reminder on the jerry can

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Six years ago I did Portland to Chicago in my Powerstroke with a not yet wife and three cats: total Cannon Ball in the Fall as the weather was spectacular for November and I really wanted to make time. When we got to Chicago my wife informed me that I will need a new co-driver for my next cross country sprint.

I did Chicago to Seattle three Summers ago in a Class C motorhome, with my now wife, two cats and my then two year old son. 10 hours a day is very conservative without a toddler, but a little person makes for shorter days. I don't know how fast you are planning to drive your IDI, but I would say mid to high 60s MPH is outer limits.

When I was single, I loved a great cross country shot with high mileage days, but I'd definitely think about breaking up the trip with someplace relaxing for one day to decompress. We stopped at Mount Rushmore on the way West and stayed for two full days. It was freaking awesome, made the rest of the trip a total breeze.

Good luck, be safe, take lots of pics and good luck back East. Maine is awesome, reminds me of the NorthWest in many ways.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Six years ago I did Portland to Chicago in my Powerstroke with a not yet wife and three cats: total Cannon Ball in the Fall as the weather was spectacular for November and I really wanted to make time. When we got to Chicago my wife informed me that I will need a new co-driver for my next cross country sprint.

I did Chicago to Seattle three Summers ago in a Class C motorhome, with my now wife, two cats and my then two year old son. 10 hours a day is very conservative without a toddler, but a little person makes for shorter days. I don't know how fast you are planning to drive your IDI, but I would say mid to high 60s MPH is outer limits.

When I was single, I loved a great cross country shot with high mileage days, but I'd definitely think about breaking up the trip with someplace relaxing for one day to decompress. We stopped at Mount Rushmore on the way West and stayed for two full days. It was freaking awesome, made the rest of the trip a total breeze.

Good luck, be safe, take lots of pics and good luck back East. Maine is awesome, reminds me of the NorthWest in many ways.
We have not booked past the first two days just in case. The wife wants it done and over with but she doesn't understand the slow IDI will get us there on her time, not ours.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting the last few items packed this morning. Wife is putting together the snacks for the road, my dog is upset about sleep, and the baby could not be happier we haven't forced him back to bed.

Rolling in an hour or so to beat the Fife traffic.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will you be able to keep us updated as you go?

Maybe post some road vids?

Love to see those long, 'camera sitting on the dash, pointed at the road ahead', vids.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stay safe . You'll be going slow through Snoqualmie, Fourth of July and Lookout Passes. After Bozeman it's all flatland, but you're truck will feel the higher elevation.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stay safe . You'll be going slow through Snoqualmie, Fourth of July and Lookout Passes. After Bozeman it's all flatland, but you're truck will feel the higher elevation.
Just got thru Ellensburg, baby is great, dog is fine, wife is a champ. Getting 14mpg or so. Didn't touch but 800 egt on pass. Sturgess bikes everywhere!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online