motor knock???

should_i

Reaction score
well, im confused about this so i thought id ask. i bot my first diesel and its a 2x4 4 door dually with a 7.3 idi 5 speed when it runs theres a knock but it sound like its coming from the front of tranny or far rear of the motor. but the wierd part is it has knocked for about 2 years now and its not getting worse, i want to get a ats turbo and i want to make sure its not going to blow up haha thanks
coop

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, im confused about this so i thought id ask. i bot my first diesel and its a 2x4 4 door dually with a 7.3 idi 5 speed when it runs theres a knock but it sound like its coming from the front of tranny or far rear of the motor. but the wierd part is it has knocked for about 2 years now and its not getting worse, i want to get a ats turbo and i want to make sure its not going to blow up haha thanks
coop

It very well could be the dual mass flywheel, completely shot. Does it still knock while accelerating. Take the inspection cover off below the flywheel and see if you can rotate the flywheel back and forth with the trans in neutral. Of course make sure to lock the parking brake so you don't get ran over.

should_i

Reaction score
haha park brake on, got it. ya it still knock as i drive. it still runs very well too
thanks

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
Mine makes a knock from the IP. Ip is new. Does it on and off. Cant find a reason for it to do make noise, it just does. I just run it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle