Metal balls

boogieman13ie

Reaction score
Waz up guys im taking apart my engine witch is 7.3 idi so i have it on a engine stand and i turned it upside down and i notice on the back of the engine were the tranny gets bolted i noticed 2 small metal balls looks like a bearing ball i know the thermostat housing has one or is it two

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please post a picture of what you are asking about. your description does not tell us anything useful about the back of the engine block. I do not recall ANY balls back there and I have a spare block to look at.

boogieman13ie

Reaction score
This what im talking about
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Your truck probably has a standard transmission, right? I've seen similar things a small handful of times, always with a standard transmission. I believe that these are from a throwout bearing that flew apart from not being replaced soon enough. If it gets bad enough for them to actually fall out when the bearing falls apart, the spinning clutch and flywheel can throw them around inside the bellhousing. Usually, I've seen these stuck on the lowerpart of the bellhousing and they are stuck in a mixture on grease and clutch dust. I've seen them stuck on the inspection cover in the same goo a couple of times. If everything was working fine before pulling the engine, I wouldn't worry about them. Some of the trucks I've worked on weren't very well maintained to be REALLY nice about it. Truthfully, some were a real POS, to be not quite so nice.

boogieman13ie

Reaction score
Yea see i thought it was the throwout bearing also cause my clutch was grawling at me before i took everything off but ill check the starter and see waz up thanks for the replys.Im trying to do all the work my self i aint no mechanic but everything seems to be pretty straight forward the onlything im not doing is the heads they were replaced not ro long ago so im gonna leave those alone.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They may have them, but I've never seen any either.

On the dmf, the part that bolts to the crank is a bearing that doesn’t get used until the internal clutch in the dmf slips and makes the whole thing garbage afterwards.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the dmf, the part that bolts to the crank is a bearing that doesn’t get used until the internal clutch in the dmf slips and makes the whole thing garbage afterwards.
Well, it does get used slightly before that - that's where the 5/8" of rotation "free play" pivots on.
There's lots of those ball bearings in there - two whole bearings worth(and at 3"+ in diameter, that's a lot of balls).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726