Looking at 94 idit 4x4

eric113

Reaction score
I ran across 94 super cab 4x4. Facebook market. He wanting $5000 for it, I was going to message him ask if he take $4500, would that still be good deal with problems it has?
You must be registered for see images attach

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
5k seems high for that truck with 211k miles which about average. The valve cover gasket is just maintenance, nothing I would be concerned with. I am not an auto transmission guy, so I can't comment on that, but overall looks pretty clean. Considering he needs it gone, he may go lower, so it would be best to just ask if it's negotiable and talk price in person then everyone should be happy.

Rock

eric113

Reaction score
5k seems high for that truck with 211k miles which about average. The valve cover gasket is just maintenance, nothing I would be concerned with. I am not an auto transmission guy, so I can't comment on that, but overall looks pretty clean. Considering he needs it gone, he may go lower, so it would be best to just ask if it's negotiable and talk price in person then everyone should be happy.

Rock
I was thinking the valve cover gasket isn’t to bad. I was wondering about the speedo being out to cause trans have shifting problems sounds like Something with VSS. I was just seeing if $5k for truck with that miles and few problems is high or about average.
Seems now days all diesels are high dollar even if they are **** boxes.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, now I'm just curious. Does the auto-tranny have anything to do with speedo....? I would assume that would only go off of tach

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transmission needs a speed sensor signal input to shift properly. 92 and newer trucks eliminated the speed sensor on the transmission/t case and use the signal from the rear ABS sensor in the rear axle housing instead. This signal is processed by the PSOM and is used by the transmission and ABS system as well as the speedometer and odometer. The PSOM (Programmable Speedometer Odometer Module) is located on the back of the instrument cluster. They are known to fail and will cause shifting issues when they do. It could also be a bad ABS speed sensor or a broken wire. I'd suspect the PSOM though. They are replaceable, just do a Google search.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
In my opinion, that price sounds fair being the condition it's in and the fact it's 4x4. Just my opinion with the way diesels have went up in price recently.

KYBricksandBulls

Reaction score
My opinion is to be patient and wait for the right one. I paid 6500 for an 88 supercab 93,000 miles just a couple weeks ago. I posted it in the pic thread, and did a video walkaround of it.

I may have spent a little more than I was aiming for, but I got one of the nicest bricknoses in Kentucky now....so im happy with it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I was thinking the valve cover gasket isn’t to bad.
Except that this is the one that's underneath the turbo so it will be tighter to get off and back on. The "I just haven't had time to fix it" doesn't fly very far with me. It's sounds just like an excuse. My experience with this is mostly from the later 80's and earlier 90's 302 and 351W engines, especially the ones in trucks. They had a really tall upper intake plenum that had to be removed in order to change out the passenger's side valve cover gasket. I haven't ran into one person who actually changed one of those leaking gaskets except for me. It was harder than it should have been to change a vavle cover gasket, but it still wasn't brain surgery. The worst one was a guy who liked Fords, but swore that the 302 was the biggest POS ever made. It was because he had one burn up in a truck. When I pressed him about it, the passenger's side valve cover gasket leaked so much oil onto the exhaust manifold that it caught on fire. i told him that it wasn't the engine's fault that he was just too f*&%ing lazy to change the leaking gasket.

I may have spent a little more than I was aiming for, but I got one of the nicest bricknoses in Kentucky now....so im happy with it.
This, right here is ALL that counts. As long as you're happy with it, then it doesn't matter what anybody else may say. It's now yours. Make it truly yours by doing what you want to it. These trucks just get better with age and upgrades. 30 years ago, they were just like all the rest, but today, as you upgrade it how you want, they are one of a kind.:Thumbs Up

I wouldn’t pay that for a truck that doesn’t shift correctly. It may just be limp mode from no speed input but it could be more.
I have to agree here. It does seem like a steep price. i would think that a crew cab would be more worth the asking price. I just had a friend text me an ad for a 1986 F350 crew cab, single axle, 4X4, with a 4 speed. The asking price is $3500. I may have been interested in it if I didn't already have 3 1/2 trucks that all need work.

eric113

Reaction score
The transmission needs a speed sensor signal input to shift properly. 92 and newer trucks eliminated the speed sensor on the transmission/t case and use the signal from the rear ABS sensor in the rear axle housing instead. This signal is processed by the PSOM and is used by the transmission and ABS system as well as the speedometer and odometer. The PSOM (Programmable Speedometer Odometer Module) is located on the back of the instrument cluster. They are known to fail and will cause shifting issues when they do. It could also be a bad ABS speed sensor or a broken wire. I'd suspect the PSOM though. They are replaceable, just do a Google search.
This what I thinking of that was the PSOM. Thank you for that.

eric113

Reaction score
In my opinion, that price sounds fair being the condition it's in and the fact it's 4x4. Just my opinion with the way diesels have went up in price recently.
If the trans wasn’t messed up I could see paying that. I agree the price of diesels is just crazy.

eric113

Reaction score
Except that this is the one that's underneath the turbo so it will be tighter to get off and back on. The "I just haven't had time to fix it" doesn't fly very far with me. It's sounds just like an excuse. My experience with this is mostly from the later 80's and earlier 90's 302 and 351W engines, especially the ones in trucks. They had a really tall upper intake plenum that had to be removed in order to change out the passenger's side valve cover gasket. I haven't ran into one person who actually changed one of those leaking gaskets except for me. It was harder than it should have been to change a vavle cover gasket, but it still wasn't brain surgery. The worst one was a guy who liked Fords, but swore that the 302 was the biggest POS ever made. It was because he had one burn up in a truck. When I pressed him about it, the passenger's side valve cover gasket leaked so much oil onto the exhaust manifold that it caught on fire. i told him that it wasn't the engine's fault that he was just too f*&%ing lazy to change the leaking gasket.

This, right here is ALL that counts. As long as you're happy with it, then it doesn't matter what anybody else may say. It's now yours. Make it truly yours by doing what you want to it. These trucks just get better with age and upgrades. 30 years ago, they were just like all the rest, but today, as you upgrade it how you want, they are one of a kind.:Thumbs Up

I have to agree here. It does seem like a steep price. i would think that a crew cab would be more worth the asking price. I just had a friend text me an ad for a 1986 F350 crew cab, single axle, 4X4, with a 4 speed. The asking price is $3500. I may have been interested in it if I didn't already have 3 1/2 trucks that all need work.
That 86 F350 crew 4x4 sounds interesting. I found 86 F350 crew near me, but it 2wd, in terrible shape with bad zf5 trans and clutch. Guy said the input seal is leaking causing oil to leak by onto the clutch and bearings in the are bad.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay that much for it. In the one pic you can see a brake controller mounted. It has 211k on the E40d. Definitely was pulling some weight at one time. Maybe every day? who knows. Might be a problem not too far down the road.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems pretty tall for a stock F250. Does this already have a D60 swap, or is it just a lift kit? I agree there may be an issue with the PSOM but at that age, its unlikely the transmission is original so who knows what the history might be.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I forgot to add that it has a "recently rebuilt 6.9".

That 86 F350 crew 4x4 sounds interesting.
Yes it is, but since I have enough trucks already, it's not that interesting to me. If I would have found this before I bought the Ex Wife, then it would be a different story. I'd probably be tempted to buy it instead.