Lift Pump threads don't match

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Please don't suggest an electric pump. That ain't gonna help here.

I walked into this job after the owner failed to complete it. A simple R&R of the fuel lift pump on a 94 IDI 7.3NA in an E350 1-ton van.

He managed to get the old pump out and I took over from there. A real ***** getting the new one in, but it is in.

The problem is the brass compression fitting on the steel high-pressure line will not engage the female threads in the new pump. They appear to be similar diameters, but won't even begin to engage. There is no visible damage to either thread. I have verified the line is properly aligned with it's receptacle in the pump, and even removed the bolts securing the steel line, to provide more flexibility in attempting to mate the threads.

Both mating surfaces are brass, and I don't want to use brute force because that will ruin them.

It is a cheap Autozone pump, and I'm wondering if the chimp in china may have cut the thread wrong.

Anyone else had a similar problem?

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Sorry,

It is a flare connection

My mistake. Its 2:30am and i've had too much "fun" with this non-paying job.

It isn't an alignment problem. I guess I should have verified the threads matched before bolting in the pump.

Thnks for the suggestion.

I may go buy a line nut and union just to confirm the problem, since this pump is a pain to R&R and I really don't want to remove it if possible.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like a sad ending to a cheap pump install. Why not say screw it and run a barbed fitting and rubber hose to the filter heat. As for high pressure well 7 lbs is all this really is.. Unless your working on sa powerstroke engine.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the pump threads are messed up he wont be able to run a barb.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Update...

I took the pump back out, examined the threads and found a large burr on the outer edge. I used a dremel with miniature cut-off wheel to clean up the threads. The threads are not sharp and not cut wide enough, probably due to a really worn out factory cutting tool. I managed to mate the threads with the pump in position but not fully bolted in, and had to use lubricant and a wrench for most of the line nut's rotation. I worked the nut back and forth a few times to prevent stripping the flats off it when the threads started to bind.

The pump is made of "imported parts assembled in USA".

Nothing like cheap crap parts to turn a 1 hour job into 4 hours of frustration.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMW !!!! i have been there... Cheep isnt a better "DEAL" i know !!!
^^^^

It's the same with any A/C parts too... No Chinese made by chimps parts for me, no matter where assembled...

Bottom line!!! :backoff

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad you found and corrected the problem. Hopefully others can learn to test fit from this on all threaded parts before install.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Sounds like it just might have been Airtex, those jerk-offs have no idea what tolerances are. I have has so much fitment problems with their crap I will no longer purchase anything with their name on it.