Potential Lift Pump Issue?

Tizzy

Reaction score
All,
Approximately a year ago I had a turn key "refurbished" 7.3 IDI put in my 93 F350 after the original engine threw a rod. Since then I have put roughly 13,000 miles on the new engine. I have had multiple issues arise over the course of those miles, namely a failed thermostat, idler pulley bearing, and here recently what from viewing forum posts is a failing/failed lift pump.
A few days ago the fuel filter light began blinking when engine was at idle. Light would go out on excelleration/driving rpms. I drained fuel filter to see if this was the issue....light went out and did not flicker again for about 20 miles. Changed filter...light went out for about 30 miles. Truck then sat over course of a workday. On the way home from work the filter light came on...this time no flicker but solid after 1 mile. Truck would not hold idle at a stop light, and completely died. Let truck sit for a few minutes and cranked right up. Light began flickering again when not under acceleration/driving above 1500 rpm. Truck made it another 15 or so miles to where I parked it.
Do you all think this is a fuel pump issue? I have read through many posts...and have not seen a close similar situation like this. Any advice, as I am trying to determine what course of action to take.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Likely fuel pump I’ve had similar experiences due to bad lift pumps
I’m not having luck finding a great brand they all break after 5k miles or so unfortunately
I’ve had a carter on for 3k miles so far fingers crossed

Tizzy

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I have a Carter on hand, and have on order an actual Ford part....kinda wondering if I should wait for the arrival of the Ford part...either way, I will let you guys know if it fixes the issue.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I have a Carter on hand, and have on order an actual Ford part....kinda wondering if I should wait for the arrival of the Ford part...either way, I will let you guys know if it fixes the issue.
Carter makes oem pumps if I remember correct

Tizzy

Reaction score
Well, the Carter pump is installed. Truck appears to be running great.... however the pressure is lower than desired. I am going to try and troubleshoot/correct a few items tomorrow.....bends in fuel line...ect...and see if the pressure does not rise. I am just hoping the cam lobe is not too worn to effectively run a mechanical pump...guess we will see.

Attachments

• PXL_20230304_233643521.jpg
    PXL_20230304_233643521.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 6

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the Carter pump is installed. Truck appears to be running great.... however the pressure is lower than desired. I am going to try and troubleshoot/correct a few items tomorrow.....bends in fuel line...ect...and see if the pressure does not rise. I am just hoping the cam lobe is not too worn to effectively run a mechanical pump...guess we will see.
The wider the range of the gauge generally means a drop in precision. Especially with a HF one like you got there. Doesn’t mean def what’s going on but keep that in mind. I have 3 gauges on my fuel pressure. My two narrow range ones read exactly to what I have the regulator dialed in to, 5 psi. My 100 psi gauge reads like 2.7psi when it’s actually 5.