Lessons learned truck is turbo'd

wmoguy

Reaction score
1. Never again will I buy used "but complete" parts or kits. The fact is they aren't and they are a huge time waster. Buying new saves money and time. Period..... :mad::mad:

2. Wow the turbo wakes her up!

3. I need an injection pump bad. :rolleyes: pumped is turned all the way up apparently. No smoke at all, and egts never go over 700.

4. Refer back to number 1 before paying if I ever think I am getting a deal.

5. The sound of turbo spooking up and down sure can give you wood. Lol

6. Refer to number 1 often

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
Sorry for your troubles, I agree wholeheartedly. Trying to save money can lead to waste, problems or blowing a motor like I did. Glad you like the turbo! Boy, what a differance a healthy turbo makes

wmoguy

Reaction score
Sorry for your troubles, I agree wholeheartedly. Trying to save money can lead to waste, problems or blowing a motor like I did. Glad you like the turbo! Boy, what a differance a healthy turbo makes

Yes... I could have bought a new Hypermax system and paid to have it installed and still saved $$$;p-cuss

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It's unfortunate that folks have to learn this lesson the hard way, but it's amazing how so many people price their used junk like gold, but when I'm shopping for parts, I have a habit of making people mad, but I consider EVERYTHING not new in teh box to be nothing more than a core and an incomplete one at that. Folks will get their underwear all up in a bunch over it, but I'm not about to blow good money on a pile of used junk that doesn't all add up. I made that mistake when I was a kid ... a few times.
The only halfway honest used parts market is the heavy diesel market. Most places refer to themselves as core exchanges or teh like, they do not claim to sell working parts, only rebuildable cores. You know what you are in for from the get go.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I didn't make out too bad for my turbo. Had a few headaches here and there but i got a fresh CHRA with a modded compressor for under 900 for everything.

15psi is very easy to come by and i really gotta watch the egts but she keeps pulling hard right till i bump off the governer and grab the next gear.

With WMO and WATF in the tank i can turn the skys dark and make 1st gen 'strokes have a stroke.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a 'complete' banks kit for 1000. Then I spent 800 to do exhaust, gauges, and missing parts for a total of $1800. Not bad for me, still better than 3300 new.

ken74amx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a complete Hypermax kit in real good shape at a local yard that very few know about for 100 bucks! the best parts was the truck was cut in half and made for easy work to pull it off.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usuallytry to buy complete Turbo motors so that I know I have everything. Little things are easy to make, but as long a the big pieces are there its easy to complete to kit. I think I have less than 300 into the kit that's on my truck.

Good deals come along of your not in a hurry.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And if you cant do the work yourself, I think more research is in order.

REmember soft parts and fasteners do not count in the used market, seals and grommets are "set" after a short time, bolts walk away or are rusted beyond use, and if the seller isnt the original owner who knows what was left off.
I notice the heat shield missing on lots of trucks, mine is hanging on the wall, dont need the hassle while servicing injectors or gp's.

My2c

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3. I need an injection pump bad. pumped is turned all the way up apparently. No smoke at all, and egts never go over 700.

Could it be that the pump is retarded or advanced too far. Sounds like the timing is way off.
How do you know the pump is turned all the way up if you haven't done it yourself?

wmoguy

Reaction score
Could it be that the pump is retarded or advanced too far. Sounds like the timing is way off.
How do you know the pump is turned all the way up if you haven't done it yourself?

I did turn up the pump. Or attempt too. It was already buried. I got maybe a half a flat at most on it.
Timing is certainly a question with an unknown answer. To me it sounds like a great excuse to go ahead and get the moose pump now (and time it then too) ;Sweet

wmoguy

Reaction score
And if you cant do the work yourself, I think more research is in order.

REmember soft parts and fasteners do not count in the used market, seals and grommets are "set" after a short time, bolts walk away or are rusted beyond use, and if the seller isnt the original owner who knows what was left off.
I notice the heat shield missing on lots of trucks, mine is hanging on the wall, dont need the hassle while servicing injectors or gp's.

My2c

I'd fully agree with you. Except in my scenario I was specifically told numerous times those "missing parts" were there. I traded a kit missing the same things plus a bunch more money for a kit sold as "everything that came from ATS" plus my kit only to end uo with a kit that was really no more complete than what i already had. I'm pretty sure anyone in my shoes would have a bur under their saddle. Whether you get a rawdeal on parts for these pickups, repairs on your computer or a bad diagnosis at the docs office, no one likes to be taken.... Thus my frustrations.....had I known in advance what was missing I am sure this would have been a much painless process as I would have prepared for the install differently.

Last edited:

liddledoggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it took 2 short days and 1 long day to install my brand new wastegated banks. it came with everything needed except for the longer exhaust pipe for a crew cab. i looked at used turbos and decided to go new because all extra stuff needed made the cost of a used one to high. 2400.00 shipped for the banks that include a trans command, almost complete exhaust and gauges seemed the best deal at the time. if i paid a shop to put this on it really makes buying a truck with one already on the way to go joe

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll buy used parts and expect that they need service and small parts/ consumables such as gaskets and grommets and the such. Having worked on and purchased many used parts for projects, I fully comprehend the value of used and understand that in it's entirety what I expect to get.

Take a D60 front end, it may say complete, W brake lines and u bolts, as a used unit, I am counting on replacing the brake lines and ubolts to begin with. Full knowledge of what your doing and how to do it and what are acceptable in regards to missing parts comes with time and experience.

I have purchased from people here and all are upstanding and having purchased a turbo in parts, from 6N IDI I know full well what I was getting and what I wasn't.

Better to pass on something due to ones own lack of knowledge and understanding or willingness to assemble parts and pieces and install it themselves than take a chance on a wallet lightening and be disappointed.

Buying used comes with it's own risk and you better damn well know what yer getting into regardless of claims from sellers. Pics and questions are the responsibility...buyer beware always holds true!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726