Land Cruiser Diesel?

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Offerered elsewhere? Anyone done one in America? My brother has a 10 yo Lexus version of the cruiser that he might like to do this to someday. It is in immaculate shape but has some miles on it. Since Toyota makes them with a diesel it would seem that a conversion would be doable without too much work. The trick is finding the engine and whatever supporting electronics. Anyone know anything about Toyota diesels? What about transplanting an Isuzu or other small diesel in there?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finding a diesel Toyota in the U.S. wil be QUITE a task...OTOH, if you have contacts in Australia and were willing to pay shipping, it wouldn't be that bad. There's also the CARB **** factor... :(

I THINK the FJ-40 Land Cruiser may have been imported to the U.S. with a diesel; my dad used to have a '75 FJ-40 that came with the owner's manual, and the manual made reference to a diesel version. But, I think they're as rare as hen's teeth, and of course, the FJ-40's a far different animal from the modern Land Cruisers...don't know if a swap would even be possible, and I can't imagine it being a good idea in any event (power differences, etc)...

It would certainly be quite a challenge, eh?

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is in Oregon so no CARB there at least for the time being. We have a rolling exemption of 20-25 years and we don't test diesels. If you showed up with a clean running diesel, you would be sent happily on your way I suspect. Ours is all state based so there is no funny business with lobbying by the auto care industry to keep testing. Many cars now just get plugged in to make sure there are no codes.
I drove both the Toyota and Nissan Patrol with the diesels in Africa last year. The Toyota was one size down from the Land Cruiser and had a 4 cyl diesel. The Nissan was a 6 and had much more power to the point where I think it would be a good choice. Oregon is fairly open to conversions to diesel or alternative fuels so I would think it is just a matter to doing it right. I sure wish people would embrace modern diesels in smaller vehicles like the rest of the world. TDI VW's seem to have quite a following. Ford actually made a MK 7 with a BMW diesel in the 80s but they are very rare. I think if they build a 35+ mpg car that has decent performance, they will sell and sell well. Just requires a change of attitude, especially in CA.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kblackav8or said:
The truck is in Oregon so no CARB there at least for the time being.
Oh, okay..I saw "San Diego" in your location and assumed that the truck was in the Peoples' Republic. That's what I get for assuming, eh? ;)

I drove both the Toyota and Nissan Patrol with the diesels in Africa last year. The Toyota was one size down from the Land Cruiser and had a 4 cyl diesel. The Nissan was a 6 and had much more power to the point where I think it would be a good choice.
Do you know what 6 cylinder the Nissan had? I know that the Patrol used the SD-33T (a 3.2l straight-6 IDI turbo; they also had the SD-33 n/a) for quite a few years, but I don't know the exact year range. If so, International-Harvester used this engine series between 1976 and 1980 in the Scout ('76 to '79 had n/a SD-33's, and 1980 models had the turbo SD-33T) as a fuel-efficient alternative to the 8 cylinder gas engines that most Scouts had. My first diesel was actually an SD-33T-powered Scout II...one of the slowest things on wheels, but it was a fun truck until the piston cracked :idiot: ... Nissan also brought these engines to the U.S. in forklifts, so parts still exist...but I don't know how much work putting a forklift SD-33 into a truck would be.

Oregon is fairly open to conversions to diesel or alternative fuels so I would think it is just a matter to doing it right. I sure wish people would embrace modern diesels in smaller vehicles like the rest of the world. TDI VW's seem to have quite a following. Ford actually made a MK 7 with a BMW diesel in the 80s but they are very rare. I think if they build a 35+ mpg car that has decent performance, they will sell and sell well. Just requires a change of attitude, especially in CA.
You and me both!!! The head **** of the CARB actually admitted (through clenched teeth) that diesels were better than g@$ engines regarding greenhouse emissions, but he pointed out as quickly as he could that there are other problems with them (without even bothering to mention what the "problems" are :rolleyes: )...what a joke. I'm not anti-environment by any means, but the American environmentalist movement is so mis-guided and have gone to such extremes that it's impossible to take them seriously (and a significant portion of my family would burn me at the stake as a heretic for even thinking about this; they think that hybrids are the best thing since sliced bread :puke: ). I can't wait to get out of this state...6 more months :D

I actually saw a diesel MK-7 on eBay in 2002...would probably have bought it if I had been able to sell my old E-350 van before the auction ended. I wound up getting my Benz instead. :D

I want to see the TDI sold more widely out here (not to mention the new Jetta being sold in wagon form)...although the new TDI's apparently don't get quite the mileage that the '99-'03's got (which could kick a hybrid's butt around the playground :D), it's still pretty darn good...and will hopefully improve. When $$ allows, I intend to replace the Benz with a TDI...

Meta6981

Reaction score
Yes indeed we in california have to worry about the CARB ******** nagging us each year to see our diesels to be "Humainly Euthenized" by CARB. (ha CARb ironic). Yeah i am always trying to pull the cleaner burning biodisel to get out of paying for parking at work (which is where i am right now). I would love to have a scout or something to play with offroads, well i could try soem narly tires on my benz hehehe. At least here i am pretty sure it would be a pain to install a diesel into a made for gasser engine. Multipile times i have written papers compareding diesel to hybrids and submitted the paper only to find that the teacher alwatys disagrees. I want to find the one teacher who drives a TDI jetta wagon with biodiesel stickers all over it. But if you can get the paperwork done and swap that engine best of luck to you.

dslsmoke

Reaction score
Diesel Convert.

kblackav8or said:
...... Anyone know anything about Toyota diesels? What about transplanting an Isuzu or other small diesel in there?

Try THIS LINK , it is all about Toyota Diesel Convertions. ;Sweet

Dslsmoke

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would hope that anyone who buys that Scout would be buying it just for the engine. That Scout's considerably rustier than my old one was! :shocked: I would hate to see what the frame and body mounts look like...

That's too bad, because Terras are very rare...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online