Kerosene is cheaper than diesel. How much can I add to WMO?

PossumTruck

Reaction score
So I went to get some kero today for a couple heaters, and to my shock it is a dollar a gallon cheaper than diesel (here).

For cold-weather, I was planning to run up to 50% diesel and 50%w80 in my main tank (start and stop on separate diesel tank). I also did some research and cannot find the cetane rating of kero - would love to know what it is.

Question:
Could I theoretically still run 50% kero with WMO and have sufficient lubricity with improved cetane - Just as the addition of diesel would do?

I never really thought I would have to consider this, as kero has always cost so much more than diesel. I suppose I never thought I would be making fuel in my garage either.

As an aside, there is at least 10% kero in my tank right now, as I dumped in 2 gallons of kero after filling my heaters (the remaining fuel in the tank is probably 70% w80 and 30% 1202).

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just guessing, but I'd bet 50/50 would be fine. I asked @Mt_Man and @u2slow about mixing racing fuel in WMO in a thread about thinning or heating before centerfuging and it got brought up about looking into the multi fuel engines used in the military duces. Maybe check that out and see what gets said.

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kerosene is drier then diesel so it will need lubrication added. But should run great, maybe a little less power, cause less btuthen benchmark(diesel). It will also thin wmo better the diesel sense it is lower specific gravity & viscosity. It's between blending with gas and diesel.

sieg01

Reaction score
Kerosene won't harm. - If I remember well, then "Sterndoktor" (a former member of a German forum) wrote, that Bosch pumps like Kerosene during winter time and it is recommended to add some to the Diesel.
Attention: If you now start digging, then you need to know that you need to search for "Petroleum" in German language.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene

And isn't WMO lubricating more than modern Diesel?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you guys in the know, how does this work for running straight k1?
How much lube (atf,over the counter additives, fresh eng. Oil) per gallon or 5 if easier to calc. should it get.
I've got some old heating oil and a 2 cyl ferd tractor, the kerosun heater states "only fresh fuel" so I'm gunna feed the tractor the old stuff.

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1qt cheap motor oil per 50gal is what I have been told for kerosene type fuels. I go a little extra lube just to be safe. Old heater oil might be just off road diesel, so could be run straight. Depends on what the person buys. "Stove oil" should good to go too. To my knowledge.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Back in the '70s when I had & drove semis trucks in wintertime we used to try find a Farm COOP somewhere that would fill us up with K1. K1 was really D1 and worked great in 10-20-30 deg below weather. It ran hotter than D2 so we had keep eyes on gauges more.
K1 back then was cheaper..... no taxes etc.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, back in the late 70's we hauld Commissary goods for Uncle Sam.
I seem to recall guys hitting the jp-4 tankers (jet propulsion alpha 4 ) for some high octane gasser cut ,dump some in a full tank...
Now I gotta go look stuff up:Thumbs Up

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Interesting, back in the late 70's we hauld Commissary goods for Uncle Sam.
I seem to recall guys hitting the jp-4 tankers (jet propulsion alpha 4 ) for some high octane gasser cut ,dump some in a full tank...
Now I gotta go look stuff up:Thumbs Up
Yeah back in the day I heard about jp something being run in place of/or mixed with diesel.

Also back in the '70s me & my drivers used to carry 5-7-8 gal reg gasoline with us in nasty cold weather. Temp get down -10-20-30 below or lower & we couldn't find D1 then we'd add 5 gal or so of gas to 100 gal of our D2 to keep from gelling.

Reactions: Clb