just got block sleeved

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
I do not have pictures yet but I got my block back from the machine shop. I noticed there is about 1/32" or so of a gap on the bottom of the sleeves to the cylinder lip. Do any of you think this will pose a problem? I ordered head studs through him and he got me powerstroke studs so this has me worried!!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sleeve may drop a bit if that's the case. Be nice if there were no gap between the bottom of the sleeve and the lip on the block. What sleeves did you go with? Darton... Melling???

Photos please.LOL

Heath

sassyrel

Reaction score
I do not have pictures yet but I got my block back from the machine shop. I noticed there is about 1/32" or so of a gap on the bottom of the sleeves to the cylinder lip. Do any of you think this will pose a problem? I ordered head studs through him and he got me powerstroke studs so this has me worried!!

should be zero gap,,where the sleeves bottom out,,or like stated,,they may move down with heat and compression..................

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That gap at the bottom may just be how they were cut to match the bore in the block. Did you use the flanged sleeves. If so then it really doesn't matter how close the bottom joint it because the sleeve is held in by the top flange.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope they are flanged at the top. I have heard the hard ring around the cylinder bores made into the headgasket bears right down on the sleeve when the heads are torqued down, and this pushes the sleeve right down in the bore unless it's trapped mechanically somehow. I don't think a press fit and loctite are enough to stop it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If a sleeve without the flange on top is properly installed it wont slip down in the bore. This is the correct way to install a sleeve. A 2 to 3 thousands interferance fit is required. That means the sleeve is larger diameter than the bore is. Now you need to shrink the sleeve to fit the bore. This is done by freezeing it. Most crappy shops will just put the sleeve in the refrigerater freezer and hope for the best. Then hammer it in... Thats not going to work well at all. Others will cool the sleeve in dry ice. Then hammer them in place... Better but still the wrong way. The best way is to freeze the sleeves in liquid nytrogen till they stop boiling in the nitrogen. They will shrink so much they will be loose fitting in the bores. Now the really fun part. You need a strong back over the top and bottom of the bore holding the sleeve down on the landing till they normalize in block to sleeve temps. Usually about 30 minutes. The strong backs have a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 inch allthread and washers and nuts holding them in place. Tight is all they need to be. Your not trying to crush the sleeve out the bottom of the block. Just hold it in place as it warms up. Sometimes they will squeeze up out of the bore if they are not held tightly in place. Working with liquid nitrogen is dangerous. It will cause burns like acid or fire. Welding gloves and a full face shield is a safety needed item. When I was doing this kind of work we always had something like wire around the part in the nitrogen so we didn't have to go fishing for it. Work fast getting the frozen sleeve to the block and tightened in place. Then do another sleeve on the other side or end of the block. Keep moving and the 8 sleeves will be done in no time at all. Nitrigen is odd stuff. What ever you put in it will act like its boiling but its not . It just looks that way. A wooden box about the size of what your freezeing lined in two layers of thick sheet plastic. Don't try the cheap ass thin drop cloth crap from home depot. Get the thick stuff. The plastic will crack if moved too much so be careful working around it. If you have a one gallon can cut the side out of it and use that for the container. The important things here are safety and knowing you have srunk the part enough to fit easily.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
could also be his first cut was too deep and the last ones are where the sleeve is sitting. and if not flanged and has the correct press fit , it wont move.

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
ha ha very funny =] . I will get pics but i havnt had time yet. Plus i will need someone to tell me how to get pics on here anyways =]. I didnt really think they should move but i was seeing what your guys opinions were. Im not sure what sleeves it has to be honest. I have to go take back the head studs so I will ask then. I seen in another thread that icanfixall was talking about coolant passages blocked off in the 7.3. Has anyone tried to open them up?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I like talking about the Leidenfrost effect when people bring up liquid nitrogen. Usually it freaks them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV7g8L633Sg

What a ****** fool...:eek: Sometimes it shocks me what some people will do because they can do it. That guy is a silly type that would attempt to catch a bullet in his teeth I'll bet. Never would I try that nor would I walk barefoot thru fire. I'm over 60 years old with both eyes and all my fingers and toes. I want to stay that way till I die too. Safety equiptment isn't sold so someone can stay in business. Hospital ER rooms are in business for careless people.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok I have pictures but how do i put them on?

To post pictures you have to be in advanced posting mode. To get to this click on the button at the bottom right of the box you are typing your reply in that is labeled "Go advanced"

When you do this you should see the reply box now has all sorts of buttons above it that slightly resembles Microsoft word 95.

In the middle row the 6th button from the left should look like a picture of a tree (An Oak tree if im not mistaken)

Click on this button and a box will come up. From here you have two choices.

The box that comes up has two tabs at the top. One is labeled "From computer" the other is "From URL"

If you want to upload from your computer (i find this easier) click the tab labeled "From Computer" Then click the "select files" button at the bottom of the box. From there search through your computer and find the pictures you want. When you have choosen all the pictures you want to post click the button labed "Upload File(s)"

After you do that and type what you want to type click "preview post" and make sure you actually clicked the right pictures and not some other ones you dont want the world to see :sly

After that click "submit reply" and hey presto your pics should show up.

I think we have a test forum or something that lets you "practice" so you might want to try posting in that forum a couple times to make sure you do it right.

If this doesn't work I'll type out the steps for the "From URL" thing but thats a bit more work and i have to get to my class.