Got to do a rear brake job.... any advice?

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a brake job on mine a few weeks ago and I’ll second getting the proper tools. Some of the springs are a ****** to get on, I was wishing I had a third arm.

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
Does anyone know a source for correctly built shoes? Would be a lot easier if they were plug-n-play.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
This is the proper tool for the tough Bendix brake springs that hold the shoes on. Sadly they don't seem to make it anymore? I also have a similar, but better one I got from Snap On 12 years ago in the Blue Point brand. Either one makes it a breeze.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Does anyone know a source for correctly built shoes? Would be a lot easier if they were plug-n-play.
I got the budget O'Reilly ones for my dually Dana 70 in late 2020 and they were correct. Hate to say it, but you might have to buy retail so you can look before you buy. I was in a hurry at the time and already wasted money on more expensive ones that were garbage.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the proper tool for the tough Bendix brake springs that hold the shoes on. Sadly they don't seem to make it anymore? I also have a similar, but better one I got from Snap On 12 years ago in the Blue Point brand. Either one makes it a breeze.

You must be registered for see images attach
Found it here but on an Austrailian site.

Goat

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Found it here but on an Austrailian site.

Goat

By the time you buy it and pay shipping, you can buy Snap on. The VIM one was $9.21 when I bought it in early 2017.

Snap on doesn't make the nice Blue Point one with a very long handle anymore, but they do have these two:

$33 and says Bendix, F250/350

$45 and says F250/350

Last edited:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pay close heed to what has already been said about almost all new brake shoes being improperly made.

If you want your Park Brakes to work, put the brand-new rearward/long-lining shoes in the vise and build/weld up the top horn much taller than what is provided; otherwise, the Park Brake actuator will just ramp over the top and not spread the shoes.

Also, take out that top center pin to access and remove the actuator/cam plate --- pay close attention to how it all goes --- ; notice how the prongs are probably all rounded on the engaging edge; build this edge up and square it off and it wouldn't hurt a thing if you made it a bit wider on the engaging edge = give it more territory to wear away before it starts climbing over the top of the shoes again.

That cam plate should be replaced every other brake job, if not every brake job; everybody ignores it and NOBODY offers them for sale; and, it is a most vital part of whether you have Park Brakes or not.

I just bought probably the last new/old stock Left side available and paid a hefty sum for it; I haven't seen a Right side available for years.

If you don't do these things, all your brand-new brakes, cables, and such, will be useless as Park/Emergency Brakes.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the hold-down spring tool, I use one very similar to THIS; except, mine is hexagonal, much better made (and probably much easier to hold than a round one), and has a hole through the other end that the end of the spring fits in; and, mine is stamped Made in USA and cost about 1/5th of what that one is showing.

I think mine is Lisle, but I cannot for the life of me find an example of it.

The internet and YouTube are full of WRONG uses for that tool, showing and explaining all manner of wrong information and using it in all sorts of applications for which it was never meant.

The way I use it and the way the pictures on the back of the package shows it, I put the notch over the spring just behind where the hook catches and lever the spring over until I can get the hook to hook or unhook.

Sometimes, I put the provided hole over the end of the spring and lever it that way; all depending on the situation at hand.

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
Great! Thanks I can see exactly what's going on with the shoes, and how the actuator gets rounded off also. Man that's good to know about. I'll be in great shape if I can figure out how to use one of these new (to me) brake spring tools. No moving parts and they sill look like a brain teaser...