Got to do a rear brake job.... any advice?

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
BigBrand just did a free brake inspection on my 95 Dually (and thus got everything loose and workable) and found that just about everything is shot. So, I'll be doing drums and shoes, and also wheel cylinders and hardware. I haven't done a job like this in 30 years. BTW, I did the fronts last year...
Any sage advice before I start ordering parts and digging in?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Shop around for drums. Pricing and freight can vary a bunch.

I would probably use the largest wheel cyls available; 1-3/16".

Hardware kits are cheap. Just replace it all, and lube up the new adjuster good.

Brakes cables (on the pickups anyway) are routed brutally around the spring hanger. Dont put it back the same. You want the cables nice and straight/smooth as possible.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously block the wheels and Jack Both sides up.

Once you pull axle shafts and drums, do one side at a time so you can refer to the other for reassembly.

I like to adjust new shoes to where you get about 1 tire rotation or just less after you spin it up by hand.

Hope it isn’t bad advice.

And it can be done with a screw driver and pliers, but a brake tool sure helps.

Oh, and it’s n disassembly, depending, if loose and accessible, I like to work the shoes all the way in before trying to pull drum. But sometimes it’s a pain.

Most all my experience is on chebby’s though...

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a special tool used to stretch springs that is required. Save yourself a big headache, and buy one. Not expensive and worth the cost.

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
I think I have the right tools, except I need to pick up a brake spoon...
Pretty sure its actually a 94 1/2 IDI turbo, and it has slide off drums thank God.

Attachments

• tools.PNG
    tools.PNG
    292.1 KB · Views: 11

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Check the shoes. some are being made wrong, expensive ones too. The gold ones are made wrong. the grabber ears are too small. the black ones in plastic, cheap O'Reilly ones, are correct. it was making the rear brakes barely work. the tab on the brake lever was going over the shoe. you can see where it took off the paint.

Attachments

• 20201018_120243.jpg
    20201018_120243.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20201018_120312.jpg
    20201018_120312.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20201017_143558.jpg
    20201017_143558.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201017_130029.jpg
    20201017_130029.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20201018_120320.jpg
    20201018_120320.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 16

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does a '95 not have slide-off drums?

Don't know about the dually but single wheel yes.

I would think it'd be the same.

Glad to hear they have slide off drums. My ‘93 SRW 3/4HD chev did not.
My "dually" actually started life as a SRW and has spacers. You have to meticulously remove nuts that are tucked and rusted behind the spacer about 1/4 turn at a time. It sucks. I do plan on finding a real dually axle to put undEr it one day. But regular dually drum's and single wheel drums should slide off.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does a '95 not have slide-off drums?
I was just inside of my dually rear brakes last weekend, it's a 1995 and the drums definitely slide off. You are in California, so they shouldn't be stuck on, but just in case they are, be patient and use the extra holes in the drum as well as the holes for the studs to apply the penetrating oil of your choosing and they will come off. There’s also a couple of pins that are used to align the wheels to each other. It’s not complicated but if you note the clock position when you remove them, it will make it easier to assemble.

Similarly, do a quick search on valve stem hoses and valve stem adapters and inspect what you have to determine if you want to change or freshen up any of that stuff.

Lastly: all the parts are heavy. Find a young guy who likes to watch/help/learn (perhaps drink beer?) as ten ply tires and steel dually wheels ain’t lightweight. Tightening the lug nuts is also a job best suited for a young man. If you’re healthy: have at it. My back always reminds me that I am now past halfway to the century mark.

Double lastly: While it's completely unnecessary, I like to paint brand new drums as I grew up in the crusty midwest where they rust before you've completed a brake job.

Inspect everything as you go, take your time if you can, and enjoy doing it yourself.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and read this, so when you pick up your new shoes you can be certain they are "correct":

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cubey and lotzagoodstuff are 100% correct, check your shoes and add a blob of weld to them if needed. Mine barely worked after I replaced everything, and also seemed to drag strangely when braking in reverse because of this issue.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only other thing I’ll add is that assembling everything can be a real pain. I’ve done drum brakes before and have the proper tools, but there are some really stiff springs to deal with on these trucks. I was sore by the time I was done.