Its going to be a very difficult decision, tires........

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I had 35/12.50-15 BFG Muds on 15x10 Outlaw 2 rims on my 74 F100 with 4" lift and 4:10's with a very healthy 390 pushing it along, that was a great combo of parts, kinda what I'm trying to replicate here.

middaymidnight

Reaction score
Duh. I am on an idi forum hahahaha. I switched from 33x10.5 to a 35x12.5. My mpg went up to 20 from 17 on the highway. I really doubt you will see a noticeable negative effect while towing. I tow more than 99 percent of people would in a 3/4 ton idi and have not had any problems other than egts on grades

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I'm running a 7.3 with an 093 ATS turbo, ZF 5speed, 4:10's and 285/75-16 Cooper AT3's right now. 217hp/385ft/lbs at the wheels.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I am running Stock Height Firestone Transforce A/T's 265/75-16. I am on my second set. The first set I got over 60,000 miles on them. What finally finished them off was age and damage. I picked up a screw in 2 different tires, they were over 7 years old, and were starting to get weather cracked. I have towed with them, and had them in some slop, (not off-roading, but a muddy grass field at the local fairgrounds) and only 1 time did I ever need help out in the snow or mud. It was right before the last set was replaced, and Mary had taken the kids to the fair. I was sick and couldn't go. The truck go hung up on her, not sure if it was the tires, or she didn't want to push it. So I bought another set, and my Dad bought a set for his last truck, and he said when the new truck needs tires, its getting a set of Transforce also. I will continue to buy the Firestone Transforce A/T's until Firerock quits making them.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Scott. I have that exact ser of tires on my company truck and am very happy with them so far. I haven't checked to see the largest Transforce tire offered yet......

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only issue w/ Firestone transforce tires is the solid center ribs you get after 20-30k they wear great but they are almost like highway treads the last 30k

Cooper at3's last 60k on all of our trucks and have a good bite until the last day.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Scott. I have that exact ser of tires on my company truck and am very happy with them so far. I haven't checked to see the largest Transforce tire offered yet......

I have a set of 245 75 16s I believe they are, they are shorter than a set of 235 85-16 i have been dreaming about lately I see your looking for a larger foot print tire I see them like bricks in the wind and a ball and chain to drag along LOL!

I see you do need a good tire, the Transforce is the replacement Firestone from the older mold design it replaced that I really liked! 80,000 miles out of a tire that sold for $100 a pop, last I seen now for the same tire was cheapest I could find $185 out the door.

I always prefer fuel mileage when picking tires, the old Firestone was great performer! I am not sure on the Transforce yet.

I like the 3.55 and C-6 OD I have now so the sweet spot for me is the skinny 85 series tire rather than a wider taller tire.

I bet the 4.10 and 1st gear in your truck is fun when towing, I would imagine it will yank a load from a dead stop at idle without touching the pedal doing a little clutch fanning :sly

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
That's good to know. I upgraded from the Transforce HT's to the AT's because of the fact that the last 1/4 of the tread isn't too good. I got the Coopers on my IDI and can't knock them. Good for everything but mud and especially good on the road and in the snow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance