Is it worth a restoration?

Ratat98

Reaction score
Hello all! First post here so bear with the newbiness...
I bought a 93 f250 with the 7.3 factory turbo from my boss a few years back for a measly $500..got it running again...added a rusty old flatbed for another $500...did some front end work for about $200...replaced glow plugs and return lines for about $150 (I think)...and that's pretty much all I have in it besides the usual fuel and oil...
It sat in his pasture for 7 years where he used to use it as a feed truck prior to sitting. Mechanically it seems sound, but the body has been sideswiped, on one side by another vehicle, on the other side by a herd of cattle. The interior is lacking as well (the steering wheel is held on by a homemade brass fitting.) It has around 194k miles on it but I still prefer driving it over my mint 2007 duramax. Anyways, I guess my question is, would you restore this rig?? All I think it really needs is a new body, new interior, and new tires...sounds easy right? It runs good besides a little dirty injector knock. What do you guys think? I'll post pics when i can figure out how to do that....

Ratat98

Reaction score
Pictures...maybe.

You must be registered for see images attach

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure 92-97(OBS style) should fit?

Going back to your 'restoration' question, part of what you have to decide is what you are going to be doing with it. If you are going to be working the truck all the time, out in the field or on a construction site, you may only want to replace mechanically damaged bits and leave things dented.
Some times it's nice to have a 'good looking' rig, but you also worry about damaging it when using it for work. On the other hand, if it's ugly already, you probably wouldn't think twice about doing something sketchy with it, because it's 'already damaged' and it's not like you'd be losing any value.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Doghouses, beds, and doors interchange from 80-96 or 97 (bullnose, bricknose, obs). I’d assume the cabs do too but I’m not 100% there. Doghouses have to have the core support and I believe inner fenders to swap though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratat98

Reaction score

Going back to your 'restoration' question, part of what you have to decide is what you are going to be doing with it. If you are going to be working the truck all the time, out in the field or on a construction site, you may only want to replace mechanically damaged bits and leave things dented.
Some times it's nice to have a 'good looking' rig, but you also worry about damaging it when using it for work. On the other hand, if it's ugly already, you probably wouldn't think twice about doing something sketchy with it, because it's 'already damaged' and it's not like you'd be losing any value.

This is exactly the conundrum I'm having! I love having it the way it is so I dont have to worry about beating it up, but I would also like to fix it up for some odd reason.

Ratat98

Reaction score
I'm also afraid to spend much money on it since the engine and drivetrain have 194k on them already

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Auto or manual? If it's manual I wouldn't bat an eye at that mileage so long as it shifts good. Auto... how's the fluid look?

If I wanted it for a work truck I'd slap some new doors/fenders on it and bang out the dents in the back of the cab. Sounds like you need a new steering column and possibly some new injectors to have a good work truck.

From there on out it's up to what you want out of it. @Thewespaul is pretty much right though, it's going to be much less work to just swap your drivetrain to a truck in better shape. If you're not afraid of the work, do a little at a time and get her running solid, then start swapping parts out as you go. Sounds like it "works" fine. Get a steering column in there before you get hurt or hurt someone else though!

DieselDc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d restore it. Just as a fun medically relaxing resto. It will cost three to five times more vs buying a used better shape truck but to me what’s money worth to ya vs time enjoying yourself knowing all the nuts and bolts. Then when it comes to selling it, you’ll get 1/4 of if not trying to give it away. Worth it. Do it!

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

Ratat98

Reaction score
I’d restore it. Just as a fun medically relaxing resto. It will cost three to five times more vs buying a used better shape truck but to me what’s money worth to ya vs time enjoying yourself knowing all the nuts and bolts. Then when it comes to selling it, you’ll get 1/4 of if not trying to give it away. Worth it. Do it!

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

Haha exactly... it's a 5 speed and shifts great. I may just try to find a replacement cab for it and call it good for now.

Ratat98

Reaction score
If it's been decently cared for mechanically, then it's barely broken in at 194k.
I'm not sure how well it's been taken care of..like I said it was my bosses feed truck and he isnt the easiest on vehicles...(envision driving through a rough pasture at 50mph chasing a lost cow with random fencing parts flying off the back of the bed.)
However, it does run good. Has a little trouble starting still, but I think it's a bad Schrader valve in the filter housing.
I also dont know the last time the coolant was flushed. It looks decent, but I am still worried about the cavitation issue with these engines. A coolant flush is on my list of things to do though.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two IDI's that are not towtrucks. One is the "Sunday go to church truck" and the other is the battered work truck missing seats and interior. Most of the electrical doesn't work either. I spend more time in it and am willing to go anywhere with it. literally. have many pics to show for it :D Don't care what it looks like as long as she gets me there and back. It's your truck. Don't do anything to it to impress anyone else. Do it because it makes you happy logging miles with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726