Is it worth a restoration?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also afraid to spend much money on it since the engine and drivetrain have 194k on them already
I don't have a single IDI I know the mileage on - Both my OBS rigs have at least 3xx,*** miles on them, which means it could be 300K, 400k...any number of rollovers.
My earlier trucks all roll over at 100K, so we have no clue. Pretty sure that they all have at least 200K on them.
'Course, both my OBS rigs have non-original motors, with unknown age and miles on them. It's one of these "well, who knows"?

If it runs good, call it good. Worst case, as long as you keep good oil in it, 'worn out' is when it starts drinking oil really heavily. Like, a quart every hundred miles. Then, it's time to be bored and overhauled.
Otherwise, most any other "issue" you see(low power, ticking/knocking, smoke(black,gray,white) is generally IP/fuel related. Much easier to fix/replace if you do have an issue.

Also, the best part of an IDI? If it does totally **** the bed, totally dead... You can just get a JY motor for a couple hundred(I've bought several for $100-200, or a turbo motor with turbo for $375), or a freshly rebuilt motor for 3K. As long as you can fix it yourself, they are easy to work on and parts are available.