IS a C6 to E4OD swap possible?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
If you like tinkering then you need to buy one!:rotflmao Or if you're not satisfied with how/when the stock unit shifts. It also cuts down on the number of things to check if a failure happens, due to the lesser # of inputs it needs. Simpler and yet more complex....

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like tinkering but I do not like wiring - yet I have switches for the idle, the TC, all the aux headlights, I also got a brake control, CB radio, and even a freakin 110V inverter, lol

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its mostly plug and play if you get the harness as well. I had to wire the MLPS for the reverse lights and neutral safety switch, and also had to mount a TPS on the injector pump. The overdrive cancel switch will also have to be wired into the harness.

I'm not exactly sure how it would work for trucks that already had E4ODs installed in them. The tach signal normally goes through the factory PCM first, but I think you can go direct to the cluster since the TCS doesn't use a tach signal. The main wiring connector has numbered pins in it, so you can take the wires out one by one as per the directions and connect that to the 25 pin serial port for the computer.

It would take some time to integrate it into a factory equipped E4OD truck thats for sure. I would advise caution if this were a daily driver in case something goes wrong, but if it were a project truck, I would do it without a second thought.

Strub339

Reaction score
I have a 1985 Ford 6.9 with a C6. Wanted to switch out the C6 for a E40D. To do this i would need to pruchas one of these aftermarket computers and wiring harness. Correct?? And also, is there more one company who produces them and the quality of their product. How much is a process like this estamated at costing is something else iwas wondering.
Thanks for any information as i am new to this

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1985 Ford 6.9 with a C6. Wanted to switch out the C6 for a E40D. To do this i would need to pruchas one of these aftermarket computers and wiring harness. Correct?? And also, is there more one company who produces them and the quality of their product. How much is a process like this estamated at costing is something else iwas wondering.
Thanks for any information as i am new to this

The only one I know anything about is the baumannator TCS. There are others, but this one is the cheapest as far as I know, and I have experienced no quality issues since I first started using it nearly 2 years ago. The wiring harness is $150 and the computer is $450. You need to program it, but the tuning software comes free.

Rebuilt transmissions can be bought for $1500, or as low as $1000. Used ones can be less, but you never really know what you are getting.

Its not really a cheap upgrade unfortunately. I spent closer to $3000 on my setup including upgrades that I performed, but I often rack up a lot of highway miles on my truck for work, so it was an investment for me. The good news is that upgrades and parts for the E4OD have become cheaper in the last year. The bad news is that if you wanted something reliable, you would be hard pressed to keep the cost below $1000 even if you did all the work and possible transmission overhaul yourself.

Its not a project for the faint of heart.

Strub339

Reaction score
Thank you for the info.
What i plan on doing with the truck is using it for a daily driver and also pulling a cattle trailer. And maybe pull it when we have our truck pull in my hometown. Would it be an option to simply upgrade the C6 transmission and still maintain a recent level of performance to pull the tralier and stuff. The reason i ask this is becouse i have another C6 transmission in my shop.
Thank you

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beef up the C6 that's in your shop (make sure it's a diesel trans tho, this ain't no Chevy land and big-block stuff don't work for us), then look for a Gear Vendors or US gear overdrive or underdrive unit on the cheap side.

Strub339

Reaction score
Ok thanks a lot for the info!!
What would i have to do to "Beef" up the transmission? What types of systems have worked the best for the cost? Is it something that would be fairly straight forward with instructions or be better to send off to a shop. i imagine that a good TC would also be beniefical to the process
Thanks

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to ruin the answer for the beef up. I wanna know to. I also have a c6. My cousin has a 7.3 with a c6 and want overdrive. I've spent hours lookin up overdrive and all the newer transmissions. I would like overdrive as well but theres no rush for me. We're both still debating. There is a lot of benefits for both its hard to decide.

Dave I read all your posts in some Ford forum about ur E4od in 2007. its funny this forum came up. I wanted to find you and ask how everything worked out. As I see you have it in now and put some miles on it. What is your MPG and how do you like it?

Doug your truck is awesome. I love that old style Chevy, 4 door is the way to go, and you made it even better putting a Ford IDI diesel behind it. Man I'd like to check it out. I wanna see what its like to drive an IDI with overdrive.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave I read all your posts in some Ford forum about ur E4od in 2007. its funny this forum came up. I wanted to find you and ask how everything worked out. As I see you have it in now and put some miles on it. What is your MPG and how do you like it?

Yes, that would be me, didn't think there was that much interest in the swap since most guys seem to just bash the E4OD as unreliable. I went through a lot of trouble with my swap and it was basically all my own fault. But since it was the first time I had even seen the inside of an automatic transmission, I can't really complain. I learned a lot and now I can honestly say it was worth it. The C6 is a nice transmission for its simplicity, low cost, and durability, but I could never go back to one after having the 4 speed.

Even if I would have to rebuilt my transmission every 2 years I would still keep it. However, all the bugs have been worked out of it and the truck is simply a joy to drive now. At 70 MPH I basically have 2 top gears, one for towing 2300 RPM, and overdrive for cruising empty 1650 RPM.

Fuel economy did improve by about 3 MPG on average. Last summer with the spiking fuel prices, I was driving very gently and hypermiling some of the time. I have a thread titled "Hypermiler's Thread" on ford trucks.com where I document several trips where fuel mileage was between 18 and 22 MPG mostly at 70 MPH. I was able to touch 20 MPG on rare ocasions with the C6, but never one fillup after another like I can with the E4OD.

Its tough to reach 20 MPG in the winter though. Last fillup was 16.3 MPG again, mostly at 70 MPH.

One thing that you can never do with a C6 and overdrive unit, is get below 2000 RPM at the speeds I cruise at. Torque converter slip won't allow that, so in case anyone is wondering about using 3.08s and and a GV overdrive, don't bother. You will probably be dealing with a lot of TC slip that will negate much of the potential for fuel economy.

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also Dave you said round about $3000 for you. Was that including the e40d in that or just the upgrades and installation?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a round number of my net cost including computer, harness, transmission, rebuild kit, upgrades, mistakes (many), and install. I did absolutely all the work myself.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So upgrades for the C6??
thanks

Sure, but its not as important as the E4OD. The C6 is bullet proof even in stock form. You can put more clutch frictions in the clutch packs, cutom torque converter, billet shafts, E4OD geartrain, but realistically, its not really needed.

When I first installed my turbocharger I still had the C6 installed and it didn't even flinch. Shifts were still crisp and it did all I asked, except for produce a 4th gear.....so out it came.

I shift kit, temp gauge and bigger cooler is about all you would normally need even with most turbocharged IDIs.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the 4 disc clutch pack for 3rd gear with an 8 disc pack when I rebuilt my C6. That requires a new direct drive drum as well. Cost me a few hundred in parts, but the thing is bullet proof big time.