is it possible to change only these rubbers?

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In order to pass the annual inspection, I need to change these rubbers on the steering gear, anyone here knows how? and where to get them?(if possible?)

Attachments

• IMG_7611.jpg
    IMG_7611.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7613.jpg
    IMG_7613.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7612.jpg
    IMG_7612.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 9

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In order to pass the annual inspection, I need to change these rubbers on the steering gear, anyone here knows how? and where to get them?(if possible?)
Not sure what your options are over there. Here any parts store that has Dorman products usually has them in stock.

As for removal I would recommend a press type remover, pickle fork puts alot of stress on the ball socket.

James

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these the outer tie rods or drag link? Am not familiar with the D60 but have been looking into equivalent steering components for the D50 ttb. The steering components are relatively cheap - like $15-40 USD from a website like LMC Truck [1]. Others on here will definitely be more knowledgable than myself but believe the joints/rubbers are not offered separate from the tie rods. You may be able to find the parts on ebay since shipping to France might be a limiting factor

[1] https://www.lmctruck.com/1980-96-ford/steering-controls/fd-1980-96-steering-components-4-wheel-drive

^ It appears the link above does not have parts for an '89 D60 but might be relevant for research

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Additionally Bronco Graveyard carries these parts and is a good website - LMC just happens to be the cheapest I have seen

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Additionally Bronco Graveyard carries these parts and is a good website - LMC just happens to be the cheapest I have seen
you mean for the rubbers? My truck only has 10.000 miles, the joints are still ok, it's only that these rubbers are about shot due to age.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to search them last night, i couldn't get enough service to find anything.

I am actually glad to see that there are options other than the Dorman.

James

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will get you by in a pinch, from my experience the rubber they use tends to fail quickly.

James

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good to know, thanks.

But isn't it these days (quite some years ago there was a interdiction to use a certain ingredient by the rubbermakers) that caused the "new" rubbers to last a whole lot less then before? look alone to tirelife now and before, let's say, 20 years ago?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly have no idea what has been changed, I can definitely see the much shorter lifespan on tires though. I have several 25+ year old tires that still look and function perfectly fine.

Then some of the newer ones that are only a few years old with almost no miles on them blow up just sitting unused.

James

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I buy various parts from the autoparts stores, some of them come with these plastic plugs on the ports. I always save these in a bin, they come in handy to keep things from leaking and keeping the dirt out of stuff. I too have found the Dorman rubbers don't last that long. But I have taken the larger ones of these plastic plugs, cut a hole in the middle, and slipped it over the tapered stud of the joint. Just something to hold some grease in and keep the water and dirt out. If you keep them greased, the water and dirt can't get in anyway.

P.S. I only suggest this because I have them laying around and they are free. If you are going to buy something, might as well buy the correct thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online