Intercooler/ piping Q's

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aight I'e looked around so sorry if i missed it somewhere, I have a turbo snail from the ATS kit I think. I am not sure how to attach the piping to it, do i jam a hump hose into the hole and then jam the piping into the hump hose to "inflate" it into the crevice in the turbo snail? The groove can be seen in the first picture, sorry that it is blurry

I'll ask more questions as they come to me.

And heres a picture of the intake hat/turbo snail thing when I got it and after, not 100% on the color but alot better than dirty :sly

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Black dawg

Reaction score
that is the old ats hat. on mine I used a piece of 2" to 3.5" exhaust adapter that was nice and round. With a new o-ring, the 2" is a very tight fit. my brackets hold that pipe so that it cant be pushed out.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What sort of brackets are you using? The oring idea sounds like a good alternative to mine :eek:

Black dawg

Reaction score
I built brackets to hold that intercooler tube right behind the ac compressor

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATS had a IC kit that used a different hat than stock. Typ4 also makes a dimensional copy of that hat. I can post pics later on this morning.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes please do post. I'll have to mod this one to work since i bought it from here not long ago... but wouldnt mind seeing what the others like

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha nice, it does look like a hershey :D

air would come in more evenly too, not sure if thats a problem or not with the intake and the snail but every turn is more restriction

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what you can't see in the pic is the boost pressure tap.
I have it located in the widest part of the hershey kiss so the pressure is measured at the largest chamber before the intake runner.
I regularly run at 2-4psi and top out at 5-6 psi on a hard pull loaded gross pulling a 10k trailer also loaded gross. I ran a load from SF to Reno and had no power issues or maxing out EGT problems.;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of this intercooler. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FMIC...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Think its worth it and able to handle a factory turbo as a single? or would running 2 with a U pipe between em work ya think?

That looks interesting with both inlet and outlet on one side. I never did like the setups with two big diverging pipes on top of the engine. With an IC like that they can be fairly close together and make for a cleaner install that doesn't cover up as much.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Yeah, i was thinking, less piping across the motor, Maybe just run it straight off the lil snail up and over the air intake tubing with some 45 bends, and flip the turbine housing around so it faces the firewall and run some 90 degree silicone bands off both those and the intercooler to limit the piping. but the same side intercooler tubing seems like the easiest idea

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I even wonder if that could fit in the ranger. Poor thing has been begging for an intercooler for years now and unlike my 088 setup those suckers can blow over 20 PSI like nothing. 3" inlet and outlet are a bit of an overkill but I could step it down.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i was thinking, less piping across the motor, Maybe just run it straight off the lil snail up and over the air intake tubing with some 45 bends, and flip the turbine housing around so it faces the firewall and run some 90 degree silicone bands off both those and the intercooler to limit the piping. but the same side intercooler tubing seems like the easiest idea
believe it or not, the IC piping really does stay out of my way when working on the top end of the motor. check out this thread on post #69 for pics of the hypermax system. they run both on the same side.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4911&page=5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online