Intercooler/ piping Q's

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I will add that how i mounted the IC is a lil unusual. I used some scrap steel and made a raised cross member from frame to frame. I then drilled holes where the lil alignment dowels on the IC were.I put a slight mig weld on the crossmember on each frame. I used a die to thread the dowels and i used rubber bushings on top and bottom along with a flat washer and nut. It seemed to be pretty snug but i used the lil fan install kit things from hayden i had laying around for a lil extra snug fit so it wouldnt vibrate.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Not that I have noticed. I have only put around 10miles on it since i got it finished yesterday. I have to go get the right npt thread for the hat so i can mount my boost gauge.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Second, since you are fabricating pieces I would suggest making leaving some room to also bypass the IC and run from your spool straight into you hat. Run the system both ways and see what the old butt dyno is telling you works best.

Maybe Im wrong, but I take that as you dont believe there will be improvement.
my truck does feel slower unloaded after the cooler, but under load it is a totally different animal.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe Im wrong, but I take that as you dont believe there will be improvement.
my truck does feel slower unloaded after the cooler, but under load it is a totally different animal.

I've heard PSI numbers were lower after intercooling as the charge air is cooled down -high temps high pressure, low temps low pressure. Not sure if thats what is being said but its a guess.

That and the air from the turbo has to run a much further distance with more piping/core for resistance.

Guess it depends on the amount of boost your running too, low boost wont see near as much gains as a high boost system would.

SASKR

Reaction score
Quick question to you Simp. I see you don't have the OEM cast air filter housing in use. Will these connections at the intake hat & on the turbo allow the use of the factory air box? THX Much, Rick

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Yes they will, the pipes from hypermax will clear the factory intake. They have pictures of the setup on the hypermax setup. I am seeing 7-8lbs of boost. I also have a shorten the wastegate rod as well.I turned the pump up some but havent gone to town on it, with a slight pump turn up it pulls alot harder. I will have ambient temps for you guys later on today.
I also used a 3.5" pipe for my air intake over to the a/c compressor and then a 90 degree bend straight down between the a/c and power steering lines. I also did some removing of the radiator support on that side so i have a nice area where air is going thru the IC and straight into the filter. Its the best place i noticed to mount it other than removing the radiator overflow and what not.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
My fuel mileage with the intercooler ran right around 22.7mpg using a GPS for mileage on open flat south dakota highway at 65mph. Right at 1950.2000rpms. When i went up to 70-72 it was dropping the fuel quick so i backed off. My EGT is never getting above 750 even with a full load on the floor and coal rolling. im heading to memphis to visit some family and i will be replacing the injectors then so I should see a little better mpg on the way back. I also added an intercooler sprayed with a micro switch set to engage over 90% throttle. I bought a standard washer kit from JC whitney and mounted it lower on the passengers side fender and have a GM flat style cooler above it so it gravity feeds to the pump. so ive got bout 2.5gal of water.