Intercooler Installed

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
While sending my IP/injectors back to Ken I went ahead and installed my intercooler. Fairly easy job. Time consuming though.

See Pics Here

While I had grille out I went ahead and cutout an oval for future ram air install.

BTW, pipes to intake hat are not installed until I install turbo this weekend.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks really good man. Can't wait to hear how she runs with the turbo IP, injectors, and IC together.

I really have to push my truck to make 8-9 psi with the wastegate maxed out. I think I'd lose too much boost with an IC at this point. Need to find out why my intake pressure is so limited.

Waiting to hear the good report.

Heath

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Thanks Heath!

Huff claims I'll make 12 psi towing with the IC. He ordered the turbo one size larger than he would for a truck without IC.

We'll see in a couple of weeks. Lot to do before then. Let's see...

Install turbo, exhaust, gauges, E40D shift kit, RDT with catch can or Racor CCV, new radiator and clutch fan. Then the hydroboost brakes, if I ever find an output rod between HB to MC.

Forgot IP, injectors and dynamic timing.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Thanks Rob, It's a Hypermax kit I ordered thru Huff at TDS. They have a kit for the factory turbo.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IC

Do you have any pics. of the top?
How the pipes are routed once under the hood?
Looks Good

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
metrojd said:
Do you have any pics. of the top?
How the pipes are routed once under the hood?
Looks Good

Pipes are waiting to be installed when I get the turbo in. Hopefully this weekend. But, they route one along side and one below the fuel filter. Oil dipstick has to be bent toward the outside and new bracket (provided) to clear pipes also. Changing filters is going to be a little harder.

Thanks metrojd & rubberfish.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy! They sure did make it easier on the later body styles. Wish it would be that simple on the Moose Truck.

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does an intercooler do? I've heard that it's recommended for diesels with turbos on it but beyond that I'm clueless.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
jrisingmoon said:
What does an intercooler do? I've heard that it's recommended for diesels with turbos on it but beyond that I'm clueless.

Basically, it cools the air from the turbo entering the engine. The cooler air is more dense which alows more air to be pushed into the engine. More air means more fuel can be burnt which means more torque and hp. Also cooler air means cooler exhaust temps., less worries about EGT's and melting pistons.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Without an intercooler the boost on our motors is limited to 12 or 13 lbs. Anything higher than this is lost because the turbo spinning at about 130,000 rpm heats the intake air charge over 300 deg. So, If you cool this air down you have more of it and things run cooler. Think about a truck puling a grade and getting hot. Now add 300 deg air going into the motor. We can cool things down with methanol-water injection (window washer fluid) or nitrous injection and not need an intercooler too.... :Sly

Last edited:

rubberfish

Reaction score
icanfixall said:
We can cool things down with methanol-water injection (window washer fluid) or nitrous injection and not need an intercooler too.... :Sly
This is true,,,,,, however.
The intercooler never runs out. :Sly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin