injection pump timing quick question

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't remember which way to turn the pump to advance or retard the timing.

Top of pump toward passenger side = advance or retard?

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I started messing with it and now i'm at 9.7 and I can't get it any more retarded than that. Loosened the 4 injection lines I could get a wrench on and cranked it over with a ratchet strap as far as I could over to the driver's side.

Any ideas? I suppose i can leave it as-is but I hate not having the timing right on the money.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ren if you go to a tractor supply or hardware store they should have some turnbuckles like this: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/263914352251

I use a big crescent on the pump boss and use the turn buckle with a short bit of chain or rope going to the ac bracket to rotate the pump. If you can get it really secure you can get a significant amount of torque with that setup. Loosing all the lines may be a requirement tho, I’ve seen just one be enough to keep it from rotating.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
In my pm you you I included my cell phone number. Sounds like the original setting was ok but now being 9.7 is just a bit too far. Try loosing the lines at the back of the pump AND the ones you can't reach at the injectors. My guess is you will have no problem timing what you want. I recommend 9.0 plus or minus 2 tenths. My meter will do this for you.Advancing timing is moving the pump towards the passenger side fender. Now if all this won't get you what you want.I suspect you got another bad pump.. Sorry for that too.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pump is solid, his replacement came from me. For a turbo truck I like timing closer to 8-8.5 degrees for a bit better bottom end, with all the lines loose and a turn buckle you shouldn’t have any issues getting the timing where you want as long as someone hasn’t skipped a tooth to remedy a worn out pump in the trucks history.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fun IP fact: apparently you only need two of the three mounting bolts tight. Messed a bit with my timing the other day and after making a wrench to loosen the lower bolt on passenger side of pump I found that it wasn't even finger tight. Pump has about 100k on it and no idea how long that 3rd bolt has been loose but the truck runs fine. Gotta' love the surprises when wrenching on an old truck!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fun IP fact: apparently you only need two of the three mounting bolts tight. Messed a bit with my timing the other day and after making a wrench to loosen the lower bolt on passenger side of pump I found that it wasn't even finger tight. Pump has about 100k on it and no idea how long that 3rd bolt has been loose but the truck runs fine. Gotta' love the surprises when wrenching on an old truck!
I ran 2 of the 3 nuts tight myself for at least 4 years with my crappy Penscola Diesel IP. I dont do that anymore with my @typ4 rebuilt pump but I could not tell you any differences when I ran it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The pump is solid, his replacement came from me. For a turbo truck I like timing closer to 8-8.5 degrees for a bit better bottom end, with all the lines loose and a turn buckle you shouldn’t have any issues getting the timing where you want as long as someone hasn’t skipped a tooth to remedy a worn out pump in the trucks history.

Was under the impression Ren purchased from Pensacola and they were swapping it for another pump. Glad this was mis information too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7