advancing timing

jamesstcox

Reaction score
I'm replacing my IP on my 7.3 Idi(the motor is out and its a bigger injection pump then stock) I'm wanting to advance my timing 10-12 degrees. I have no clue where to really start on doing this task any advice would definitely help.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you searched this forum at all? This topic has been covered dozens and dozens of times. Basically loosen the three nuts on the pump and turn it towards the passenger side. Best way is to get a timing meter.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he is installing a fresh i.p.
thus no relative timing marks to reference to/from...
op
honestly search here read the timing thread then you will have ALOT less questions
eta you do not want to advance it 10-12 degrees, 10 ish degrees is @ max advance without more data

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing my IP on my 7.3 Idi(the motor is out and its a bigger injection pump then stock) I'm wanting to advance my timing 10-12 degrees. I have no clue where to really start on doing this task any advice would definitely help.
First, welcome to the forum :)

Why do you need a bigger IP? The NA 7.3 can only breathe so much air. Unless you have a turbo and didn't mention that ;) Either way, that's too much timing, especially for a turbo engine.

I agree you need to search and read more threads here. But to begin with, line up the mark on the new pump with the mark on the housing. That will get you close enough to run. Then you need a timing meter, or borrow one. Far more experienced members have said they can't get it very close by ear.

Also, I don't know your experience level so hopefully no offense - never loosen the three nuts or try to change timing with the engine running...

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I probably have 20 or so timing threads in my IDI timing Folder, here is one of them.

Goat