More fuel? More advance? Both? Or leave as is?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine starts easily. One puff of gray or white smoke when it starts. Then very light smoke from then on at idle.
Acceleration is very good (compared to before I replaced the injectors and injection pump).
I had been getting heavier white/gray smoke when normal running and heavy black smoke when I got on the throttle (no load or trailer). So I turned the fuel down 2 flats. Now I can't get any black smoke no matter what I do. But it does leave a bit of a gray cloud on the hill.
My timing is advanced 9.5 degrees. When it was less advanced (8.5) I was getting more white/gray steady smoke at idle and normal driving. So both changes seemed to be in the right direction as far as getting less smoke. And I don't think I lost any power.

I'm tempted to leave it as is. But the smoke still has me wondering if I can tune this even better.
Do I want to see some black smoke when over-throttling a well-tuned IDI?
Will advancing the timing more than 9.5 degrees give me less gray/white smoke during normal running? Will that cause problems elsewhere, like my glow plugs?

Last edited:

gandalf

Reaction score
Retarded 9.5? Are you sure? The recommended timing is 8.5 degrees before TDC. If you really have it set at 8.5 after TDC I would expect you to have lost a considerable amount of power. Could you please verify?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doh!! Very sorry.
9.5 advanced. Not retarded. (that would be me):)
On that note, I just ran up the street.
With cold start still engaged it puts out more smoke. And that's more advance, I believe?
So I guess I may be in the sweet spot for timing?
So nothing else to do but more fuel. Or leave it alone?

Last edited:

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want a little black full throttle is what I’d call “properly” tuned

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I didn't feel like messing with it any more but kicked myself in the *** yesterday and made myself dig in again.
First I replaced the air cleaner. Not much change except even louder.
Checked the timing again. Was at 8.5 advanced. (was at 9.5 before) Ugh.
I guess that's because it's getting more air?
So I didn't mess with the fuel screw. I adjusted the timing back to 9.5 advanced.
Running cleaner exhaust and less "clacky" sounding. Still good power.
I'll drive it for a 100 miles or so and then decide if I want to mess with it any more.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
My truck sounds similar as far as starting and smoke. I backed my timing off to 7.5 to see if it would help, but it’s still got a gray haze.

Your post got me to thinking about what else could be contributing. Could the CDR just be allowing too much through the intake?
Mine always has a bit of oil in the intake just before the turbo.

My other issue is that I don’t think my timing will go much past 9 btdc; The high idle solenoid is almost hitting the thermostat housing at 8.5 degrees.