I'm Blaming the Cold Medicine....I need Solenoid Help!

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so blue sat for a week or so since we got Barnie and I have been driving the explorer to work.
I went to crank her to go get hay and a puff of smoke came from under the hood. I have the alternator with internal regulator and the wires going to battery and solenoid smoked. I talked to the guy that did the alternator and it was just the insulation and he said it should still crank, but nothing.
So since I have never replaced the solenoid and that was inexpensive I bought one.
I had been sick and taking medicine and was being a "girl" :D I undid everything and then couldn't remember how it went back. :eek:
Can someone post a pic or direct me somewhere that I can find out how the wires go back on the solenoid so I can try to crank Blue?
Hubby tried to figure it out, but bless his heart, he is not a mechanic. I really don't want to pay a tow bill for someone to take 2 minutes to fix this.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fender mount solenoid, right?

The two big wires go on the two big terminals and the little push-on wire goes on the little terminal. If there are more little wires with eyelets they go under the big wire that comes from the battery.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the fender mount one. Ok, I was thinking all the smaller ones went to the other large post, but will try that tomorrow. Hope that fixes it cause I feel like a big dummy :rolleyes:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I like that excuse... I'll have to try it out some time.. About the wires... What I do is take a picture of it. Cell phones can do it easily too. I have built my motor twice and taking pictures has saved me from taking covers off to recheck timing marks plenty. Just yesterday I pulled my thermostat to modify it being very careful reinstalling it in the motor so as not to get it half cocked and sitting up on the lips. The thermostat housing went on really easy. Kinda to easy... Yep... There sitting on the work bench was my modified thermostat.....-cuss cookoo :D Kinda felt dumb but it happens....cookoo

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to crank her and a puff of smoke came from under the hood.
the wires going to battery and solenoid smoked. I talked to the guy that did the alternator and it was just the insulation and he said it should still crank, but nothing.

I don't think a bad solenoid/relay, or a complete lack thereof, would have caused wires to smoke and melt off insulation.

You need to find what is causing this.

An internal short in an INTERNALLY REGULATED alternator will sometimes do this, as will a short inside a starter.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to put a sig with your name, so we know what year truck you have. There are schematics in my albums if you think they could help you any.

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Blue is an 89-90, maybe a 91, I can't remember. Karen- are you sure it was smoke and not feathers from a misplaced hatching?? :rotflmao

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blue is a 91. I have given up hope and am having her towed, thinking I'll take her first to the AUto Electric guy that did the internal Regulator. After all, this seems to be where the issue started. I would have done it sooner, but have been battling asthma and allergies for a month and have generally felt like CRAP!
Tanya,
I have not had so many eggs that I have had to convert Blue into a makeshift incubator! :rotflmao
However, should Blue just give up on me, she would make one heck of a Bator! Imagine the number of eggs I could incubate in a truck her size :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance