IDI build in DIESEL POWER

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone besides me remember when Ford introduced the 6.9? Boy it was the cats meow... flat walk a 6.2.
there's no doubt the ford offering kicked the snot out of the gm product. Only problem was the fact it was almost impossible to keep a set of tires on the front of a f350 hauling variable weight loads. secondly, thanks to uncle sugar and the CUCV project, there was plenty of powerplants to be found at the surplus auction. it would cost me less than $150 to repower a blown up 6.2 truck vs. the stratospheric price for a IH IDI crate motor. remember, the early stuff ate headgaskets like candy.
just for the curious, I'm not as old as it might sound, I just was turning wrenches way before I was 18.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well ,I just read the article and they are fixing the little things first which is good, I am waiting to see how they enjoy modding a mechanical truck instead of a computer, plug it in and go fast, model.
They have done a great job with the old Dodge they have and I for one am impressed with the magazine.
I wish I was closer to help them with it , it would be great fun.
I do have some suggestions if he is lurking, dyno it as is, get the pump rebuilt and turned up 10 percent, new or rebuilt injectors, not g codes and dyno again. Then turbo ,dyno again, then crank up the pump ,dyno again, then intercool, not an off the shelf but a swap like we do,build the stuff then dyno again,That would be a awesome test and would help vendors sell parts.

And thanks for the kind words, you made me blush.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Dont forget Travis/argve. I believe he could show them a few things also...... he made the old IDI's do some interesting things..........

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wasn't the 6.9 first offered in the 83 year trucks??? I wanted a 6.9 on the Ford Vans long before they offered it. I thought they would never get around to it. When they did finally I saw what a puzzle it was fitted in there. Changed my mind right then and there. Just dreaming but I sure wish I had a spare 40 acres that I could build into a Cali rust frre idi wrecking yard. There are plenty of trucks around here just waiting for new owners and being rust free I think there is a market for them on this site....;Sweet:D

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I hope they go the same route as Project Rust Bucket only this time spare no expense ;Sweet

All they really stated is that they would install a turbo and see where it put them power wise. Wouldn't it be cool if they built the engine to see just how far they could push it power wise? It's their money right? LOL

I just hope it doesn't end up like the 6.5L Blazer project that's been on the back burner for what seems like years -cuss

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just hope it doesn't end up like the 6.5L Blazer project that's been on the back burner for what seems like years -cuss

Like i said in my first post, we need to make sure we let them know that we appreciate the article and will be purchasing future issues in anticipation of its continuation. ;Sweet

mR

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been turning wrenches since I was very young, younger than I was able to drive, and had to keep my 73 Ford F100 with 360 running if I wanted to have a vehicle to drive when I was 16. And I absolutely HATED IT when diesels became so popular because parts became so expensive and all the wannabe's with money had some very nice looking trucks that had no purpose but to drive up the cost of diesel fuel for me. I started out with a GM 5.7 diesel in the 80's that still drives my Caprice, moved to an early 6.2 which has yet to be overhauled and still hauls quite some loads around the farm, and my 6.9 which is still the workhorse since it's in a built solid ext. cab with gooseneck.

I just don't want to see another item I like but can barely afford because I am a farmer and do my own work bought up by those with money who can't tie their shoes without a ladder diagram. Otherwise, I'd love to read the article. By the way, I will eventually post pictures of my beasts but right now they are so covered in snow and cow$h*t that it would be hard to recognize them as vehicles.

But I can post plenty of pictures of my IH tractors, they get tender care and wonderful maintenance.

Last edited:

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
anyone besides me remember when Ford introduced the 6.9? Boy it was the cats meow... flat walk a 6.2.

lol true but give credit where credit is due.. if it wasn't for GM going threw the development of the Detroit diesel 6.2 for the light duty truck Ford never would of had a knee-jerk reaction and bough up the 6.9 from international for there light line.

Having driven both 6.2s and 6.9/7.3s i love them both there great work horses and both have the strong points

Also GM made the 6.2 to have comparable power to their small blocks but get twice the millage, not a heavy huller. Having said that a good friend of mine has a 2.5 ton Suburban and gets 27 MPG on the highway, id like to see any of you guys come close to those numbers ;p :angel:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It would not surprise me if the magazines are seeing a renewed interest in the older trucks since all the folks who USED to have all the disposable income and were buying brand new srtokes etc are now getting their houses repoed , and the sponsors of the mags, mainly performance aftermarket , have to pimp their goodies , so the mags are going to have to start directing their articles toward somebody who still has a few bucks left in their pockets to spend on said accessories , guess what, that's us :rotflmao

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to see them do a real by buying a used turbo, rebuilding it and then may be fabbing up a intercooler using one from a powerstroke.

I get a little tired of mags that just bolt on parts from their advertisers. I'd like to see some junkyard engineering!

mR

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I would like to see them do a real by buying a used turbo, rebuilding it and then may be fabbing up a intercooler using one from a powerstroke.

I get a little tired of mags that just bolt on parts from their advertisers. I'd like to see some junkyard engineering!

mR

Who do you think pays for the builds that they do in those mags? Those parts come gratis for *testing purposes* from the advertisers.
In reality the mags are pure advertising from cover to cover. It's all in how skilled the writers are in hiding that fact. There are ( or at least were, haven't been paying much attention lately ) a few mags like Car craft that at least had quite a few good restoration articles, but that's the exception, and still interspersed is a lot of product placement.