Hypothetically speaking..... power level?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read the db2 tuning guide in my sig. I got 107 ccs out of a stock pump....
What was the fueling at 2800 RPM though? That's where you make your power.

Personally, the simplest, most practical high-HP setup I've currently found worked is a RD2-110 pump with Banks Sidewinder turbo. I've repeatedly hit 250 RWHP with that. The RD2-110 should be /tuned back/ a bit for that setup, though. The main advantage of that RD2-110 over a stock or RD2-90 is the machined fill ports, which help with high-RPM fueling.
A stock type pump makes peak fuel at 1,000 RPM or so(where you don't need most of it) and drops horribly till 3K. Peak power, generally speaking, will be around 2800 RPM, just before the governor kicks in - this is where turbo boost crosses over the fueling curve.

-----------
At H4H this year, I didn't have optimal setups - My blue '92 put down 199; we adjusted the timing a little retarded and it made more power on the butt-dyno(starts smokier though - Pump is still well worn out no matter what we do to it.).
My tan '88 made 230, didn't spool as well as it did on the highway, and all together has cam issues. Still, 230 out of that, when it was thrown together the week before and I had no testing time... acceptable.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
95cc at 105* and 100cc at room temp. A year ago I would never thought it was possible to get more than 90cc out of a pump without upgrading the leaf spring, but getting this pump done and tested on the test stand made me eat crow on that. If you know what you’re doing the stock pump is enough to make some good power numbers. Ill have the shop truck on the dyno soon, hoping to make more than 250 at the wheels with a stock turbo stock ip...

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do torque numbers consistently hit with a setup like that? When I start building my 87' 6.9 for my 92 dually I'm wanting to match my stock powerstroke on the "tow" setting. Sounds like your getting there with all stock parts just maxed out

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do torque numbers consistently hit with a setup like that? When I start building my 87' 6.9 for my 92 dually I'm wanting to match my stock powerstroke on the "tow" setting. Sounds like your getting there with all stock parts just maxed out

A Banks-powered, stock-pump-cranked IDI will beat a stock SD 7.3 PSD no problem. A tuned up SD 7.3, however... that's different. Also it depends on the transmission for your IDI - you can get a lot more power to the ground quicker with a 5-speed than a C6 or E4OD.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm well familiar with the age old " Ford detuned the idit not to upstage the p.s" mantra, but this is more an apples to apples deal. 395k stock OBS 7.3 ps with a ts6, vs turned up turbocal pump w/factory turbo setup on a studded 6.9 block.
Having owned a few stock turbo trucks, a few na trucks and a few OBS pwerstrokes, they all drive nearly the same unloaded and stock in my opinion (all auto od trucks)

Up till now,I've never had the cash to do any mod work, so I'm curious about the torque for the loaded aspect, as my goal would be having an idi that could pull like a TS tuned clapped out stock p.s. Do the hopped up idis carry the typical near double the hp torque number when setup right?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d like to see 500 ft lbs but the clutch isn’t liking the power the new setup is making. My clutch is rated for 420ft lbs and is slipping in fourth with no nitrous or ****. The truck runs circles around 7.3 psds and keeps up with tuned 6.0s

Taking off easy it does 0-60 in 7.9 seconds burning the tires through third. Saying the stock pump only does 85cc of fuel and only makes 200hp is outdated info.
You must be registered for see images attach

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that's more the info I was after.

Are you starting with working pumps, or building them yourself! I seem to recall you've gotten into doing that right?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I build a lot of idi pumps, but this pump is just a stock pump off a 89 parts truck with nothing but free mods done to it.

Here’s a clip pulling a 7% grade with cruise set at 88mph no sweat.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'll hafta read up on the free pump mods, all I was really aware of was turning up the fuel and timing.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, went through and read that, what rwtq , in your experience, would you assume tq of such a modded pump to be? in the 450ish Range?

Also, I assume the electric pump negates the need for the "check valve" portion of the inlet fitting that gets removed?

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I build a lot of idi pumps, but this pump is just a stock pump off a 89 parts truck with nothing but free mods done to it.

Here’s a clip pulling a 7% grade with cruise set at 88mph no sweat.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I'm diggin that Matagorda Beach permit! :Thumbs Up

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, went through and read that, what rwtq , in your experience, would you assume tq of such a modded pump to be? in the 450ish Range?

Also, I assume the electric pump negates the need for the "check valve" portion of the inlet fitting that gets removed?

Assuming everything is healthy 450 is attainable. I sell a bolt on 3” downpipe that helps a lot to get there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online