Hydroboost with electric backup

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Does anyone know if those Hydroboost units off the larger mid duty ford chassis trucks from the mid 80s that had the electric pump backup would fit on our trucks instead of the little wimpy accumulator that only gives you one good backup stop in event of a stall.
I ask after a little er incident a couple weeks ago pulling up to the house and my e fans had been running full tilt all day dragging the 5er in insane over 100 deg heat and I just ran out of juice as I was downshifting into lowand stalled out and didnt have enogh for the trailer brakes so into the ditch the 5er went. ( did I mention I live on a fairly steep hill ) Thankfully , after we got er jumped off with one of our cars and charged up enough to run everything, the low range on the brownie walked it up out of teh ditch like it was flat ground, but i'd rather not repeat that. I'm getting a high amp alternator built up to keep the batts chatged up to take care of that end of it, but I'd really like to have a bit more stopper backup and Ive driven those hydroboost systems with the electric backup befoer and they work great. That little pump on those things will grind away as long as you need or at least until someone can jump out and throw some chocks under the beast if youre in a bad spot

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
I cant answer your question but i know on our 05 f650 wrecker at work it has hydro with electric backup its werid if u still have your foot on the brake when u shut it off itll start grinding and such messes with you the first time u do it

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have managed to install a lot of stuff that most people said did not fit.

If one has a drill, hack-saw, and welder, there is not much that isn't possible.

I could be wrong, but I always thought that electric pump only set a parking-brake. :dunno

As for a bigger alternator, I highly recommend the Leece-Neville 110-555; it is a fairly easy retrofit on most engines and won't leave you lacking for volts, amps, or watts.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if I read that post right your engine stalled but to the batteries going flat, right? If that was the case then an electric backup would be pretty pointless, wouldn't it? :dunno

My personal dislike of hydroboost is that you now have a single point of failure for power steering & brakes, so if you loose that ps belt you lose both.... I wouldn't want to fight with trying to steer the hard way and having no brakes.....

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Well once the electrical issue is sorted it it wont matter im sure also on obs trucks the serp belt is a 1 point failure and ive been there too throw a belt loose steering and brakes and alt .... i like my gear driven cummins vac pump

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well once the electrical issue is sorted it it wont matter im sure also on obs trucks the serp belt is a 1 point failure and ive been there too throw a belt loose steering and brakes and alt .... i like my gear driven cummins vac pump

Right, I've got an alt out getting beefed up as we speak, so that will no longer be an issue, as far as loosing steering, I'm not too concerned about that, I cut my teeth on semi trucks with no power steering, after you wrastel those bears with 12,500 on the steer with no assist for a number of years, you get some arms on you. Ive lost power steering before and its never bothered me, just a minor pucker moment., but I would like that electric backup

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

And gear-driven power-steering pump. :)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have managed to install a lot of stuff that most people said did not fit.

If one has a drill, hack-saw, and welder, there is not much that isn't possible.

I could be wrong, but I always thought that electric pump only set a parking-brake. :dunno

As for a bigger alternator, I highly recommend the Leece-Neville 110-555; it is a fairly easy retrofit on most engines and won't leave you lacking for volts, amps, or watts.

I'm with you... I have a sign up in my shop that reads " those who say it cant be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it" I suppose I shoild drop by the big truck wrecking yard and just grab one and see if it'll cobble in. The fella there already thinks I'm crazy... thinks??? LOL

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There you go. My tinker-er neighbor had built up a saginaw to work a dump with a small 12v motor, I don't see why (other than the required amperage) it couldn't be done.

I too grew learning to drive on everything without PS. To this day I have broken a few steering wheels/columns due to not parking when I should have after the pump goes out.

And I used to drive an ancient C60 delivering fuel oil to houses in the city, that electric over hydraulic brakes are freaky when you don't know they are there.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robert; the larger RV motorhomes have that braking system. I'll see if I have anything on it. The Pluraseay is gone now, than God. Pleasure to breath without so much pain.
But still there electric motor driven pumps. Must have been a Heart thumping experience.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guys that own the local (plus about four more) stock-yards have numerous early-80s F-750s with 370 gas-burners, 4-speeds/2-speeds, that all have the electric brake set-up that you speak of.

The basic cab and firewall is no different than a F-150/250/350 of the same vintage.

I see no reason why such shouldn't be almost a bolt-in fit.

Now you got me curious, I am gonna have to have a look under the hood of one the next time it is handy. :)

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Uhaul S1600 international we had was equipped with the electric over hydroboost brakes. I don't remember the size of the hydroboost, but remember the master cylinder on that deal was huge. The reservoir probably held a quart or more of fluid.

So short story long I would look at a u-haul s1600 international truck.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The Uhaul S1600 international we had was equipped with the electric over hydroboost brakes. I don't remember the size of the hydroboost, but remember the master cylinder on that deal was huge. The reservoir probably held a quart or more of fluid.

So short story long I would look at a u-haul s1600 international truck.

The big truck boneyard has a bunch of IH chassis in various configurations, I ought to be able to find one of those, but it woud be really nice if I could find one of the ford versions that might bolt up a bit easier, my memory of those things led towar them being mighty similar in the firewall . I know the doors were the same ( my west coast mirrors are factory fit f700 )

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have also wondered if these would fit and am on the HUNT for one...if I come across one at the right price..I"ll get it.

One thing a person could do is create or use a backup batter of sorts...golf car, motorcycle etc something not too big, tie that into the power circuit so that in case of electrical failure one has a back up battery capable of providing some power for a stop or few!

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, I've got an alt out getting beefed up as we speak, so that will no longer be an issue, as far as loosing steering, I'm not too concerned about that, I cut my teeth on semi trucks with no power steering, after you wrastel those bears with 12,500 on the steer with no assist for a number of years, you get some arms on you. Ive lost power steering before and its never bothered me, just a minor pucker moment., but I would like that electric backup

I'd bet one of these with no ps is harder than that semi to steer. Our are designed for ps and have a small wheel and pretty low ratio. Semi's got more load, but it's also got a better ratio box and that big old steering wheel.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin