Backup flood light

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck I bought has a floodlight mounted to the rear bumper and it was wired to the backup tail lights (which weren't working).
I just replaced the neutral safety/reverse switch on the tranny and before doing so I disconnected that floodlight to take that variable out of my trouble-shooting process to get the backup lights working.
Now that they are working I'd kinda like to reconnect that big light but I'm wondering if it's okay to have that big light on that circuit. I'd guess it's about the equivalent of a motorcycle headlight.

Last edited:

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. That sounds like a good idea.
Sorry. I don't know how to do that. lol

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
It's really easy. Here's a good video giving a brief run down.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Pretty much the 'trigger wire' will be the current backup light wire.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
No harm in asking! If you need any pointers feel free to ask.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How to know what size fuse to put on the new line?

And the light only has one wire. The mount to the bumper is it's ground. Do I still need to run another ground wire to the relay? (sorry, I don't know squat about electricity)

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
So the relay has four wires you'll need to wire. There will typically be numbers on the relay too so it'll make it easy.
Pin 86 should come from your existing backup light wire.
Pin 85 needs a ground.
Pin 30 is from your battery, or any 12v source.
Pin 87 will go to the extra backup light.
Don't use 87a (if present)

As for a fuse, ultimately it depends on the wattage of the bulb, but I'd imagine a 10 Amp would be sufficient.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bolt on LED backup lights are extremely bright and use less amperage than filament bulbs. Most wouldn't need a relay - just wire into the existing circuit after removing the factory backup bulbs.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a pair of led floods on the 87 and wired it to a rocker switch. I can light up the neighborhood now. Straight from the battery.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bolt on LED backup lights are extremely bright and use less amperage than filament bulbs. Most wouldn't need a relay - just wire into the existing circuit after removing the factory backup bulbs.
I dunno if my inspection station would be ok with deleting the factory tail lights?

I put a pair of led floods on the 87 and wired it to a rocker switch. I can light up the neighborhood now. Straight from the battery.
I guess having it on a manual switch might be better than having it on the tranny switch.
Then I have the option to use it only when needed. Or if I didn't want to blind the guy behind me. lol

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
You'll have to ask the inspector if that's OK, can't say, here we don't have safety inspections, just emissions (but not for the IDI's)

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine were just tied directly in WITH the factory reverse lights. Not the way I would have done it, but it worked fine. I'd use a relay. Better off doing it right the first time and not having to fix it if it starts blowing fuses.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine were just tied directly in WITH the factory reverse lights. Not the way I would have done it, but it worked fine. I'd use a relay. Better off doing it right the first time and not having to fix it if it starts blowing fuses.
That was my thinking. It'll probably work but if on the same power circuit it also might shorten the life of the neutral/reverse switch on the tranny?
I'm all set for inspection now. Connecting that after-market flood light will be on the back burner. Just trying to gain knowledge for the future while we're on the subject.
I appreciate all the help and advice.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I was just thinking of doing this tonight while I was backing into my dark driveway. Why back in? The short version is that I'd have to just about have the entire bed hanging out in the street before I can see if one direction is clear. I just don't feel comfortable doing that. I feel like it's asking for an accident to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online