Hydroboost pros and cons

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
So amongst the parts that I got for doing a serpentine belt setup, I also got two power steering pumps that apparently are perfect for doing a hydroboost swap, according to typ4.

Currently my brakes work fine, and so does my vacuum system. Is there any real reason to change it? Convince me to, or not to do it.

Also, just to toss it out there, I currently have a functional RABS system and getting rid of it is not an option.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your vacuum brake system is still capable of locking up the brakes or making the abs turn on then I think that it is not worth the install

I just did the hydroboost swap on my truck because I was having a lot of issues finding a reliable vacuum pump and the booster was bad, so I went for the swap

But when I drive my buddies idis that have fully functioning vacuum brakes I have no complaints

Hydraulic systems are fascinating to me so that was another reason that I did the swap

I am unaware if hydroboost effects rabs I never peeked under the superduty I yanked the set up out of to see if it has it or not

All in all I think you should save it for later or sell it they easily go for 200$+

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hydro boost works with rabs. The braking should be much more reliable when stopping a load. I converted to hydro boost 6 years ago and have never regretted it. You need to drive one with it if you can, no comparison in stopping power.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only downside is not getting to worry about having enough BRAKES:sorry:

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve tested the following and permutations of between categories:
1. Without and without RABs
2. Vacuum vs Hydro
3. F250/F350, F-Super, & Red Head Steering Gears
4. Various OEM, Rebuilt & New F350/F350 pumps, F-Super Third Party Pump

= Braking w/ Vacuum =
Braking with vacuum and rabs was mediocre. Switching the rabs to the f super bypass and vacuum assist was good. Did brake testing and feel between a 2018 Mazda CX-5 right off the lot and F350 f super rabs delete w/ vacuum and the truck had both better braking and feel than the Mazda. The CX-5 of that year atleast just doesn’t feel right, like it’s a CX-3 sedan chassis with a small SUV body ontop. Regardless, this is a good combination if you like vacuum.

= Braking w/ Hydro =
The first thing about hydro is that your steering and braking is now “connected” and you will notice to varying degrees based on a few of my comments coming up. Regardless of pump, factory f supers had hydro and rabs delete. They “expect” to be loaded in the rear. Most had heavy commercial bodies during sale. Hydro on a 250/350 with f super rabs delete locks the rear wheels easier than vacuum.

F350 Pump w/ F Super Res - Worse than the vacuum w/ rabs delete. Hydro has a spongier feel in general but you can tell they wouldn’t roll off the lot like this. It is to most people “good enough” and depends on where your good enough bar is. At idle and in parking lots you can really tell the steering and brakes are part of the same system. As you are moving around at idle speeds the wheel will intermittently “catch” a second turning and braking at the same time or slug for a split second. Panic braking can pulse/shake like it’s a bad rotor but it’s not.

Early on I found what I’m describing above hard to believe, I tried (3) different f350 power steering pumps. OEM, rebuilt, new. All the same characteristics. If I learn that the f350 and f super are the same, than there is a quality control problem. I’m relatively certain that atleast the spring and believe valve are different.

F-Super Pump w/ Hydro
After the above, I looked up the EDD pump that the F450 and F550 powerstrokes would use. Came back with the 6014R. Swapped to this pump. Night and day. Any of the negative characteristics above are gone. You can still tell it’s hydro and connected to steering but smooth to a point where you can forget it’s part of the steering system.

= Steering Boxes =
Rag joint vs borg u joint shaft and rag delete - rag delete all day
F250/F350 boxes - sloppy. f super rebuilt box - sloppy. Red Head Box - good.

factory gear with rag joint - https://media.tenor.com/sv0yh8rkqagAAAAC/ride-fozzie-bear.gif

Summary Optimal Combination:
Rag joint delete, red head box, f super pump, hydro, f super rabs bypass

Runner up:
All the same above except vacuum if you don’t mind the pump accessory

Last edited:

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you put a filter on the return your you won’t feel the steering in the pedal, I’m going to do a Saginaw pump soon and am intrigued to see what it does for the hydro

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you put a filter on the return your you won’t feel the steering in the pedal, I’m going to do a Saginaw pump soon and am intrigued to see what it does for the hydro
How does that improve steering behavior? Sounds opposite.
hydro system wants least pressure on return. That’s why people who T their return lines tend to have steering glitches.

Last edited:

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saginaw - it should be good. GM had pretty much the same hydro unit and Saginaw pumps with no issues.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does that improve steering behavior? Sounds opposite.
hydro system wants least pressure on return. That’s why people who T their return lines tend to have steering glitches.
Saginaw - it should be good. GM had pretty much the same hydro unit and Saginaw pumps with no issues.
I’m not sure how but I’m the only one I know who has a ford power steering pump that doesn’t whine even countless new ones because of my return filter, I even got a couple of my friends to use the exact same pump on their idi to test the theory and so far it’s holding true
And I don’t have the feel the steering through the pedal issue like most report nor do I have any lack in power steering even with hard braking but another theory I have is maybe I have a “defective” pump that accidentally has higher pressure than intended
That’s why I’m going to choose a pump from a 6.2/6.5 as they have 2 return ports like how ford does it on the superduty,
A lot of people say to run the one off the van hence the tee but I don’t like that idea even if it wasn’t a restriction as I like the least amount of hose clamps as possible especially in a tight turn area

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure how but I’m the only one I know who has a ford power steering pump that doesn’t whine even countless new ones because of my return filter, I even got a couple of my friends to use the exact same pump on their idi to test the theory and so far it’s holding true
And I don’t have the feel the steering through the pedal issue like most report nor do I have any lack in power steering even with hard braking but another theory I have is maybe I have a “defective” pump that accidentally has higher pressure than intended
That’s why I’m going to choose a pump from a 6.2/6.5 as they have 2 return ports like how ford does it on the superduty,
A lot of people say to run the one off the van hence the tee but I don’t like that idea even if it wasn’t a restriction as I like the least amount of hose clamps as possible especially in a tight turn area
All the pumps in my original response have two return ports, you just swap the res. And non of the pumps whine. The f350 ones you can notice through the wheel if you are particular the f super not.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Lots of good info, thank you everyone. What I think I'll do for now is install the hydroboost capable pump, but run my vacuum system for now. The ps pump has a cap on the hydroboost return port at the moment. I assume that's factory. Just a plastic cap and zip tie.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of good info, thank you everyone. What I think I'll do for now is install the hydroboost capable pump, but run my vacuum system for now. The ps pump has a cap on the hydroboost return port at the moment. I assume that's factory. Just a plastic cap and zip tie.
What pump in is in question? Is it just the regular ford power steering with the extra return nipple?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check me if I missed it...
Wasn't the pump upgraded from the stock pn?
Like a superduty one that flows more gpm???

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I believe that is the case, yes. I've actually gone back to wanting to use the non-hydro boost pump, and I'll set this one on my shelf. Or sell it. Dunno yet.