Huge 6.9 Problems

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, the truck is sold. Yesterday, after talking to Darrin about the truck and him saying he couldn't get it, I left to pick my cousin up from the airport. Well, I picked him up in LAX and then I asked if he would mind helping me pick my truck up from the shop it was at. He said no problem, and we went to the shop. I told them I was there to pick up the truck, they said lets get it filled with water and oil and get you on the road. Well, as soon as I pulled the dipstick, it WAS SO FULL OF WATER. I mean FULL, so they were kind enough to drain all the water and oil from the pan, and filled it back up with new Chevron 15/40 and filled the coolant system up with water. My cousin kept asking me what is wrong with it, I told him it is cracked/broke, needs a new engine, he says thats it? He asked what a new engine costs, I told him about 3K. Well, by the time I made it to my house, about 50 miles he had called the bank, gotten a loan for 7K for the truck and the new engine, and we were both pretty happy. I actually tried to explain to him all the stuff that needs done, and he still wanted it.

Him, being from Upstate NY had never seen such a clean 1987 Truck, no rust, no bondo, nothing, he was sold on that. So now, he is just looking for shipping on the truck, so Darrin, if you could pass the info about shipping or how to go about it, I would be grateful.

Otherwise, it was weird how good the truck runs still. I set the cruise at 65MPH, oil pressure stayed at 40psi, water temp was good, 192 or so the whole way, plenty of power, no issues. We did leave the radiator cap looosened on the way home, so it could not build up full pressure, but the truck ran fine. Checked the oil when we got down south, same level no water.

Checked the oil this morning, totally full of water again. So it has troubles somewhere. Anyhow, thanks guys, the truck is going to family. Pretty happy about it actually, he loves old Ford trucks, and now he has a diesel. He had a 91 F350 with a 7.3, but it was so beat it wasn't worth poop, so it kinda turned him off diesels, it started hard, had low power, nothing to write home about for mileage, well, since he has driven mine, even the way it is, he knows there is a total differnence in the way they should run and what his old truck did.

Anyhow, thanks guys, I will try to get him over here, not much of a computer guy though. We'll see. Scotty

pafixitman

Reaction score
I told you us right coast boys are amazed at no rust!

Good job...Let us know what his screen name is! You did tell him that we came w/ the truck right? :backoff

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Scotty, I guess that closes this chapter for now. We look forward to you getting settled closer to us, and getting your house, and then finding that next IDI. Here's hoping your relative makes things right for your truck. ;Sweet

Exekiel69

Reaction score
DeepRoots said:
ezekial,
I can save you alot of money regarding the gear vendor.

I'll let you borrow my truck for a week.
after that you go back to driving your truck, your desire for a GV will be lessened greatly.

drew

What do you mean? Mel has a truck like mine (dually, zf-5 etc) and he loves it, even with no turbo.

Scott I can see everything work out for the best, bring your cousin here and when it is time you come back with another IDI.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to stir the pot, I'll bet Scotty's next diesel will be a comeapart or a PSD. And I wouldn't blame him... he asked a lot out of the truck and that's ok...but I don't know that an IDI can make enough power to satisfy him and be durable as they should be. Meanwhile his old truck will make a great daily driver/carhauler or boathauler work truck, whatever. If he finds a good block he will be happy, turbo, is ok, but all that stuff it's going to be tough on it. My opinion. Well then I'm glad you got rid of it and sort of kept it in teh brotherhood. You're a coll guy...don't leave us...

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
pafixitman said:
Good job...Let us know what his screen name is! You did tell him that we came w/ the truck right? :backoff

:eek: LOL :rotflmao :D ;Sweet :thumbsup:

Where else could you buy a truck and get a peanut gallery thrown in LOL

You just may want to tell your cousin the truck has a rather "extended" family :hail

Good to hear things have worked out for the best :cheers:

NOW get you *** to NC :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So Scotty. Did Dieseltune ever tell you what was wrong? Did the motor ever hydrolock? If not maybe it was just the oil cooler o-rings. If the coolant fills the pan and no hydro going on I find it hard to believe the block is cracked but now is the time to just let it go. I'm sure curious as to what was wrong. Glad things worked out for you and yours. Best of luck on the move and stay with us....

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Agnem said:
He's got a C6. EZ has overdrive. I think that's his point.

That makes sense, Thanks Mel,..

Scotty,
Glad to hear that you sold it and that is going to someone in yer family! That truck will be a big hit there in Upstate NY! Congrats to both of you, I am still kinda bummed though,......

As far as shipping, do a google search for Auto Transporters and you will get a ton of responses. Spend an hour or so and go there websites and fill out the request for a quote. Some of the web sites will send it to 10 or more shipping companies. I got abuot 30 quotes within 24 hours, all ranging from $875.00 to $1600.00
Then pick the cheapest one. The more that you fill out the better chance of getting a cheaper rate.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Darrin

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Darrin Tosh said:
As far as shipping, do a google search for Auto Transporters and you will get a ton of responses. Spend an hour or so and go there websites and fill out the request for a quote. Some of the web sites will send it to 10 or more shipping companies. I got abuot 30 quotes within 24 hours, all ranging from $875.00 to $1600.00
Then pick the cheapest one. The more that you fill out the better chance of getting a cheaper rate.

Darrin

I gotta admit I'm with Darrin. I'm glad to see you unload it & it's staying in the family, but I'm pretty bummed. Really had some neat ideas for it.

Stay away from AAAdvantage Transport. Cheap price but boldface liers on delivery times & extensive damage history from what I understand. I know it's a ton of money but it should cost 1400-1600 to get it over here. If you get aquote for 850.00, you NEED to ask for insurance certificate, ICC Authority. It almost can't be done for that money. If you get a low quote, PM me & tell me who it is. I'll check 'em out for ya as best I can.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, it WOULD be cheaper to throw another motor in it, and drive it home.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pafixitman said:
I told you us right coast boys are amazed at no rust!

oh we love trucks with no rust over here.if its not rusted or rotted with 400,000 miles on it its still a brandnew truck to us. ;Sweet cookoo

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
hmmmm,I can make a fortune off you Yankees then!Maybe get a little pay back for the war?hee hee hee.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will fill the lad in about all you guys, he has probably already heard enough about you guys on his vacation in Sunny Southern California. He is in LOVE with the truck, he goes out every morning and sits in it and well, just can't wait to get it home.

Scott, I will run shipping thoughts through you.

Diesel Tune never really told me what is exactly wrong, the main guy says he has seen 6.9's crack near the rear main and do this? Don't know. I have it in my yard, so I guess we won't know until the truck gets back to NY. Cousin is already looking for an engine, told him to look at the roadmaster engine. F350 Camper has one, and it seems to to good, and priced pretty good. I told him a Ford Long block would be fine too.

Trucks like mine are mint back in the NE. Salt and rust would have ate the truck down to the frame by now if it was back East. He is a body man by trade, so he is seeing stars right now and is ready to jump in with the new engine and start driving it. He has an 02 F350 with a 5.4 and just driving mine around a little he is all smile by the difference in power, and he loves to hear that turbo screaming. Anyhow, thanks guys. Scotty

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7