how to get power out of a 6.9?

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just bought a 1984 f-350 dually with a 6.9 and a 4 speed behind it. i was wondering how to get more power out of it besides turning up the ip and putting an exhaust and intake on it. i still want it to be streetable cause its my daily driver. any suggestions?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Turbo

Moose pump

First, make sure it is tuned up and running properly

If your exhaust is stock just that step will give you a whole new truck!

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
where can i find this moose pump at and how much boost can i run with the stock internals?

pump-
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18713&highlight=moose+pump

you will not see anything more than 10-15 pounds of boost with any kit

A 6.9 should be studded with a new set of head gaskets before any boosting

With a custom setup, I would not push any more than 20 PSI but there is no hard ceiling there as there are few that push much air into these engines.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where can i find this moose pump at and how much boost can i run with the stock internals?

You can do this in small steps. Just add a aftermarket turbo that has modest boost, and you will get a lot more power from the engine. Adding studs, increasing boost, and special pumps add even more power, but you can do those upgrades later.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this one ? http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/bar/1587383392.html from what I've heard you can time it or get it timed, this can make a huge difference other than that she's gonna need more air and fuel, also "freshening up the fuel system" i.e. injector pump and lines to are, to say, the prerequisite , that is said to have a great impact. Just don't buy that (new) stanadyne on ebay for 750

Last edited:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
you can very safely run 10psi on a stock 6.9 with stock gaskets and bolts

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the truck has a new ip, injectors, and return lines. i think im gonna make my own turbo set up so i dont have to spend all kinds of money on it. Any suggestions on the timing?

Attachments

• 1984 ford.jpg
    1984 ford.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 15