How to deal with leaking head gasket 6.9 diesel

DieselWood

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a 6.9 that has a slow coolant leak out the rear drivers side of the head gasket, there appears to be no coolant in the oil or vice versa, it leaks maby a 1/2 quart per 100 km, in addition to this there are very small bubbles appearing on the rear of the head gasket with the engine on, I got some bars leak to put in the cooling system but have refrained as there are a few white/black floaties in the coolant. My proposed plan of action is replace the coolant with turbo power diesel coolant, put the bars leak in, drive another 5000 or so km until winter is upon us and then do a retourque of the heads as i will have plenty of time then. however please weigh in with your opinions and experience, this is my first diesel, and I love it. but it also has a job to do.

Thank You,

Aram

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
fix it the correct way now. the way it is now, you can kind of decide on when you want to fix it rather than it puking its guts out and needing fixed right away. it will only get worse from here. you don't want to take out rod or main bearings, don't want to take out the heads. or hydro-lock and window the block or bend rods.

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would highly recommend replacing the head gaskets before things escalate worse. A set of head gaskets could be done in a weekend if you have some time to spare. I just did my head gaskets and including the paint job and labor it only took a weekend. And I did the gaskets with the engine still in the compartment (although I recommend pulling the engine). Just make sure the prep work is done correctly cause it doesn't take much to damage the gaskets.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
As said before. Fix it right and you will continue to love the truck. Use Bars leaks and you will be able to use it for an unknown amount of time before it fails completely. Head gaskets are a hassle to do in the truck, but they will last for another 200,000 miles (or 5 million KM).

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Aram. Fixing the head gaskets is the best idea. It sounds like the coolant is starting to enter the cylinder because you posted there is a white puff of smoke out the exhaust on startup. That will cause the pistons to stop in the cylinders because fluids wont compress like air does. Thats also called hydrolocking. It can break the rods and pistons. So its best to do the job soon. Doing this job with the engine in the truck is tuff. Its best done with two helpers. A long bar or pipe and the head chained to that makes the removal and installation easier. The Warden wrote up a great step by step how this is done.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Have the coolant tested for combustion gasses. If none are present, it is just an external leak. My play truck had the same leak with 210000 on the clock. One bottle of KSeal later, and a day of driving and the leak stopped. That was 2 years ago. Still dry. Don't use the truck everyday, but when she is used, stand back. I am not easy on it. That KSeal stuff works wonders. A lot of Subaru guys use it since they are prone to headgasket leaks.

DieselWood

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input so far, really appreciate the experience on here, sounds like a head gasket is what is going to happen then, but keep it coming, I appreciate all input/experience.

thanks

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Yesyes, do it right, Aram. And welcome to the Forum!

Recently finished head gaskets & head recondition, and it snowballed into injectors and IP also! We did pull the engine out, as the space in an E is limited. But she runs great.

Yeah, especially in a work rig, I'd urge you to get those heads off, and check other stuff, as long as you have it in your hands anyway.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Aram to OB, as you have found...one of if not the best place for info on these old trucks and engines.

All are correct here, in saying gitterdunrite! pull the heads and do both at the same time....Hell in for a penny go for the whole dollar...get the oil cooler o rings and gaskets and do that sucker too. pulling the heads in truck and doing that cooler with them off is qoing to be fairly easy if you have some mechanical apptitude.

Plenty on here can help via the board or other ways. Hell if you where closer I'd suggest stop by for a weekend, and we can pop those off and redo em no problem.

All in all I cannot imagine attempting bars leak for anything but an absolute back country gotta get out and fast emergency. That stuff won't do the rest of the cooling system any help either.

Again do it right...take a few minutes read some of the FAQ's and tech articles there is plenty of info there to be had and feel free to ask questions as we all like to dig into to help

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
For me personally the use of any radiater sealant is a last ditch thing only to be used to get back from the dark side of the moon. As posted. Kseal worked well for one member. My issue is when will it let go. Some of the gasket has been worn off somehow. Thats why coolant is leaking. Or the head or block has cracked. We don't want to go there so lets fix it correctly and be done with it. If you were going to sell the truck think about the buyer. Would you like to buy something fixed like that. We have seen and probably been victomized by a bad seller patching something up just to sell it off....