Interesting diesel leak

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It appears I am leaking diesel from in between my ip and ip gear housing, what in the world can cause this?
No diesel in crank case so that’s good just goes down the valley and makes a mess
Is the input seal leaking in the ip? Or can it simply be the the o ring that in the snout
Its about a drop every 3 seconds sometimes or it won’t leak for days

I just had cleaned the valley out to take a better look at the source so that’s why it’s not a giant mess in the photo

Attachments

• IMG_0841.jpeg
    IMG_0841.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 19

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't think that any fuel goes into that part of the IP. I believe that it's just the drive part. The only possibility that I can see is if, somehow, the fuel was coming out of the return hard line or the fitting on top of the pump, and then running down into that spot. That would mean fuel on top of the pump or on the hard line. If those are both dry, then your leak is probably a seal on the side of the pump. Now oil can leak out of that o ring/seal that you mentioned. I doubt that fuel could leak externally there and not into your crankcase.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same deal with the pump on my ‘90 7.3 and there was diesel leaking out of the advance piston seal on the bottom and running back to the mount and down the valley pan. I replaced the O ring that goes behind the nut with the advance piston seal, but it is too worn. Things only got worse, it’ll need rebuilt for sure…

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fortunately I had my CAT O ring kit handy, has every size of O ring known to mankind.

Could be leaking out of the weep hole and running along the IP towards the front as well. If it is, then it is toast.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think that any fuel goes into that part of the IP. I believe that it's just the drive part. The only possibility that I can see is if, somehow, the fuel was coming out of the return hard line or the fitting on top of the pump, and then running down into that spot. That would mean fuel on top of the pump or on the hard line. If those are both dry, then your leak is probably a seal on the side of the pump. Now oil can leak out of that o ring/seal that you mentioned. I doubt that fuel could leak externally there and not into your crankcase.
Terrible picture but I just blasted out all the diesel, oil, and grease from the ip and valley and can confirm that it is definitely coming from the bottom Somewhere

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same deal with the pump on my ‘90 7.3 and there was diesel leaking out of the advance piston seal on the bottom and running back to the mount and down the valley pan. I replaced the O ring that goes behind the nut with the advance piston seal, but it is too worn. Things only got worse, it’ll need rebuilt for sure…
Been wanting to get a new ip just was looking for an excuse but this ole gal has been loyal for 30k miles on 2 motors will be sad to see it go

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online