How to bypass clutch to start

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this hpoefully is not the reason why my diesel is down:cry: but the story is I let a friend use it for the day cause his ranger was in the shop and he left the lights on all day. im shure the batteries are just dead but the glowplugs come on the buzzers all buzz and when i try to turn her over nothing happens. so i would atleast think the selonoid would chatter or thunk. So i normally have to press the clutch alltheway down to start it so that may be the real problem:confused:

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did jump the terminals and bypass the safety switch in my 90 f 350.
I cant rember exactually what. I did but it is possiable.
See if you can get a wiring diagram and should be easy to figure out.
Good luck
John

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Are your clutch pedal bushings shot? They can wear than break completely to where you lose enough pedal travel to make it all inoperable.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the Ford interlock switch. However, on my 91 Chev, I just wrapped a wire tie around it, and snugged it down. No more problem.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clutch neutral saftey switch is on the clutch master cylinder pushrod. if you don't have cruise control its an easy bypass. clip the wires off the switch and splice them together. if you do lend out the truck though, you should have a warning sticker on the dash that the truck will start in gear. I can check later on in the day for the wire color when I get back to my truck.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
On my 87, you take the plug off the switch (about 3/4 of the way up the clutch pedal you will see it) and just jumper it with a piece of wire. There are two wires on the plug and when you press the pedal, the switch closes basically allowing the wires to connect. When you jump it, you just eliminate the switch, which does go bad.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I jumped Mine on my 92 f150 and If I recall right The wire is a red color with a green stripe going down it, There should be two of them coming off the plug on your clutch pushrod, Just splice those two together and you should be good to go, as it was mentioned though.....you may want to put a warning on the dash.-Brad-

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I was suggesting a wire just to test it. Mine is spliced now as well, but I wish it weren't! Scares me with a 5 year old running around!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I'd prefer a neutral safety switch to the clutch switch. It's too easy to start the truck in gear and dump the clutch once it's started.

I keep a few paperclips in my truck for bypassing clutch switches. I'll go out on no-starts where that is the problem.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I believe that Chuckdiesel's problem is weak batteries.

If they have been run down real low, they will give up soon, anyway.

As to the clutch-switch, I simply unplug the switch from the clutch linkage, skin the two wires, twist together, and tape.

Every truck around here has had this done.

I don't let idiots around my stuff, nor do I leave the keys in them.

I had two occassions where bad clutch switches caused a truck to not start.

This never happens in a convenient place, always somewhere dangerous, with a million cars whizzing by, or in the dark, rain, or cold, or all three.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't let idiots around my stuff, nor do I leave the keys in them.

Well, I don't consider my daughter an idiot! On the other hand, I don't leave keys in mine either, but kids can find keys, maybe you don't have kids...at any rate, I would prefer them be there, so if that makes me an idiot, guess I am an idiot.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was referring to "idiots" of quite a few years older, as in people that should know better, but were never paying attention when brains were being handed out.

You know, the kind of guy whose catch phrase is "My bad, my bad."

I apolligize if I mistakenly offended anyone.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im shure the batteries are just dead but the glowplugs come on the buzzers all buzz and when i try to turn her over nothing happens. so i would atleast think the selonoid would chatter or thunk. So i normally have to press the clutch alltheway down to start it so that may be the real problem:confused:

You have already diagnosed the batteries why are you diving further right away??????? Follow the KISS principle. Pull the batteries and take them to Autozone, Advance etc and get them charged and tested FIRST for FREE before condeming other parts and needlessly wasting time, effort and money.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I was referring to "idiots" of quite a few years older, as in people that should know better, but were never paying attention when brains were being handed out.

You know, the kind of guy whose catch phrase is "My bad, my bad."

I apolligize if I mistakenly offended anyone.

You didn't offend me, I was just stating that there are reasons for having a clutch safety switch, children being the reason in my case. For me, getting in, shoving the clutch to the floor then cranking is second nature.

And yeah, have an aquaintence that does that crap "my bad, my bad" and just continues to do it. Also likes to say "sorry, it was an accident, accidents happen" but he seems to be plagued with them!!! :)

Anyway, honestly, no offense, you make a good point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk