How to bypass clutch to start

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the batteries were dead and one was bad, however i have had to stand on the clutch sometimes to start it, so may as well fix that too. yet the story moves on.... the real culprit seems to be in my ig switch. when i go to turn the key it goes to the very end of its rotation till the gp come on and then thats it, no more turning to start. so i used a screwdriver at the seloniod to start it. i am happy that the key turns off the truck and the latch i have to push to get my key out is broke too cause it dosent stop me from getting the key out. i guess i need a new switch but how does the old one come out?

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have already diagnosed the batteries why are you diving further right away??????? Follow the KISS principle. Pull the batteries and take them to Autozone, Advance etc and get them charged and tested FIRST for FREE before condeming other parts and needlessly wasting time, effort and money.

also what soes KISS stand for

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Yeah, our 92 F350 with the 5.8 had the clutch switch go bad, bypassed it, and it has helped us in other ways. Due to our burnt out gas gauge, we ran out of gas once, and managed to use the starter to get the truck moving enough to turn it around and coast down a hill in neutral to a gas station(which happened to be only about a quarter of a mile away, as luck would have it). Wouldn't have been able to do that with the switch in place.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

While we are on the clutch-switch discussion, I will go ahead and say this:

It may just be me, but, I dislike cranking an engine with the clutch depressed.

It just seems to me like that is ******* all the parts of a clutch, especially the throw-out bearing.

For the same reasons, I will hardly ever shut down an engine with the clutch depressed.

I can get a blue million miles out of a clutch/throw-out bearing.

Like I said, it may just be all in my head.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Well, that could be, but my last two sticks had 270,000 and 345,000 on them. Both had functioning clutch switches the day I sold them, as well as the factory clutch as I bought them new and I always started and stopped with the clutch in, so I don't really see that as a benefit, but I will also say that I drive 75% or so highway - 1 hour each way to work - and I know that adds longevity as well.

Yeah, having the switch out does have its uses, but if you are talking about ******* parts - whew, that moving a truck on the starter is ******* stuff! Not to mention, not that I have ever done this :angel: , but it is quite easy to throw a paper clip in the plug for a temporary fix...paper clip also makes a fine code reader for any of the older (pre-OBDII) computers! ;Sweet

I once ran a jeep out of the woods, up a pretty good grade, on the starter!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the real culprit seems to be in my ig switch. when i go to turn the key it goes to the very end of its rotation till the gp come on and then thats it, no more turning to start. so i used a screwdriver at the seloniod to start it. i am happy that the key turns off the truck and the latch i have to push to get my key out is broke too cause it dosent stop me from getting the key out. i guess i need a new switch but how does the old one come out?

I'm assuming you mean replacing the ignition switch in this part....

The Ignition switch and key cylinders are actually 2 different parts.. The key cylinder is easy. Look on the bottom, there is a small hole that you insert a punch or awl to push up the button and then turn the key and it "should" pull out easily if it's not all gaffed up inside. The actual ignition switch is mounted on the steering column under the dash (at least on my '90 model), this is what sounds like is messed up on yours, when they go bad they allow the extra travel as the switch is usually about to fail badly by falling apart completely.

You usually have to lower the steering column to get to the actual ignition switch. Fortunatly neither the swich or Key cylinder is very expensive and usually carried in stock at most parts stores.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Hopefully the pot metal rack didn't break. I don't know what the availability is of them. Ign switches are adjustable too, but if it didn't move I wouldn't bother to adjust it. Once you drop the column you might as well replace it.
James

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the pot metal rack didn't break. I don't know what the availability is of them. Ign switches are adjustable too, but if it didn't move I wouldn't bother to adjust it. Once you drop the column you might as well replace it.
James

-cuss :shoot: :shoot: POT METAL! -cuss hey why not make it out of plastic! maybe that would suck more!

maybe some jb weld will hold----- if not theres the local junkyard. AHHHHHHHHHH! PIECE OF CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Potmetal rack

I had the same problem on my 1990 F350.
It had tilt wheel and it was a som ***** to fix.
The key barley turned far enough to start even with the ing. swith adj. all the way up.
the problem was getting the pivot pins back in.
Good Luck
John

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin