How much boost is everyone running?

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was out playing in my old truck this morning just giving it a good hard running to clean it out, because typically I just ease it around. Usually with the turbo I have on there 12 psi is about all I make when easing it around, but this morning I really layed into it on this big hill before I got to the house to see what I could get the EGT's up to, well the EGT's were only about 800 but the boost gauge was headed north of 15psi, so I let out of it very quick. I haven't really had the truck loaded all that hard yet just driving it around and I haven't had the trailer hooked to it yet either. I am wondering if anyone else is running boost numbers higher than 15psi. The turbo is a .82 exhaust A/R similar to the non-gated turbos that would have come in the kits for these trucks and I wasn't really worried about overboosting the engine but now I wonder if when I have a trailer behind it and hit a hard hill what is it going to do. I guess I will swap out wastegate actuators or just put the external wastegate I have on there. Right now the wastegate actuator that is on there doesn't open to close to 30 psi when I checked it with my air compressor and a gauge.

So if anybody wants to know the DT466 turbo really seems to like this engine, I have considerably low egts and can make a lot of boost with it. When I hit that hill I typically just ease up it in 3rd because it is pretty curvy but when I layed into today I thought I was going run off the road it took off so quick.

So my question is, what is everyone running for boost?

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You really need to post pics and the details of your turbo install for all to see. ;Really

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the turbo mounted and all hooked up from during the fabrication process, but there are a few little things I have changed since then, but mainly just a guard around the air filter and cleaning some things up and I am currently running new exhaust for stacks.

The crap on the exhaust flange for the turbo is a high temp copper sealant to keep it from leaking exhaust.

Here is the link

Here is a pic of my old truck, I am still prepping for paint so it looks a little rough.

You must be registered for see images attach

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like a sweet setup! How much lag is there with the turbo way down there? Also how are you piping the oil back into the truck?

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is really no lag, when cruising if I touch the throttle at all there is 5 psi instantly. My piping is very minimal. I am using the Mechanical Fuel pump to put the oil back in the engine. I think there is one picture showing the check valve setup in that folder.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Looks good, totally sleeper! Most folks are running low boost on the IDI (7-8psi), beefed motors seeing 10psi (studs, good gaskets). But doggone it, the thing needs boost. The party doesn't get going good until 15psi, some folks have run 18psi on top of the stock pistons (hard anodized of course). I believe that you can run as much boost as you want if the tune is right. Maybe someone can give some insight as far as running high boost on a street IDI.
Hey, maybe it's time to Moose that motor out and see what she can do with some intercooling and water/**** injection.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You made it look easy. Now install an intercooler and you can use all the boost. Otherwise much past 12 or 13 lbs boost and the inlet air charge is up around 300 degrees and that really kills the boost usefulness. Yours may be a bit cooler because it has a longer inlet path but it looks really easy to install an intercooler on that intake. Gees.. Theres nothing even in the way of the hot or cold cooler lines....:sly

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
That setup looks awesome! What year DT466 is the turbo off? Of is it a universal thing for those?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
very nice setup, almost makes me want to put my psd turbo underneath my hood area is going to be very crowded:D

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already have the intercooler in the garage, it used to be on the truck when I had the turbo gas engine in there, I just have to get it mounted again. I almost wish that I would have had the pistons milled down while I had it apart, but man I love the low end power from all that compression.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I already have the intercooler in the garage, it used to be on the truck when I had the turbo gas engine in there, I just have to get it mounted again. I almost wish that I would have had the pistons milled down while I had it apart, but man I love the low end power from all that compression.

someone who i know with lower compression idi says that there is a little drop in low power but one the turbo spools:D well im sure you already know

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice lookin older truck.

Thanks I am hoping to paint it soon, I got all the body work done, and as you can tell I had to weld wheel arches in, due to that stupid support that holds crap right against the back of the fender.

And the turbo was for a 4700 IH truck with the DT466 engine, I used to know the part number but I would have to look on the turbo and find it again. I got it on Ebay a long time ago brand new for like $150 or something, I used to see them on ebay all the time used for less than $100 but I just looked and couldn't find one.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
someone who i know with lower compression idi says that there is a little drop in low power but one the turbo spools:D well im sure you already know

I am thinking about selling my newer truck in favor of no payment so this may become my Daily Driver soon, or I would just keep pushing the envelope until I popped something and then tear it down and mill the pistons for lower compression. BUT.. since I may depending on this truck to get me places pretty soon, I will probably just install my external wastegate with a 12 psi spring, and not push my luck.