how far would you go?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

bj_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would be considered a good ring set isn't mahle oe?and bearings as well heard king was great? What is considered good or the best

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mahle is indeed good quality, never used king so cannot speak for those, I just generally prefer not to buy engine internals off of amazon

bj_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decieded to go with sealed power bearings, what do you guys think of this thrust bearing? The bearing face is smooth but the outer edge feels a little rough.
Do they usually come with a coating? all the rod and main bearing have coating but not the thrust.
Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've done anything this major to one of these engines, so I don't really remember what brand of bearings we used to use or exactly what they looked like. It does seem like we used to use Sealed Power bearings. They are one of the top companies and I wouldn't be afraid to use their products. In my opinion, since the crank journal doesn't ride on the "rough" sides of the bearing, I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe someone will tell me that I'm wrong, so I guess we'll see.

bj_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks just for clarification purposes its not the thrust sides of the bearing or the bearing surface, thats all smooth..its the outside edge of the bearing surface . I suppose I could just wet sand or knock off the little rough edge?

bj_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
edit: ok this bearing is made like this, but still about that rough edge would you guys knock that off?

Last edited:

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use to use #0000 steel wool and transmission fluid to "polish" bearings before assembly. But that was on gas engines. Not sure about diesels.

rgaus

Reaction score
BJ,

How did you make out with the rebuild?

Bought a 1989 F250 with 7.3 for $500. Was on its way to scrapper. The engine as greeting coolant into oil and oil into coolant. Wa also blowing coolant out radiator when start to warm up. To go complete tear down and sleeve bore(s) if needed.

Bob G.

bj_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BJ,

How did you make out with the rebuild?

Bought a 1989 F250 with 7.3 for $500. Was on its way to scrapper. The engine as greeting coolant into oil and oil into coolant. Wa also blowing coolant out radiator when start to warm up. To go complete tear down and sleeve bore(s) if needed.

Bob G.

So far so good! have a few thousand miles on it now. The oil is not milk so that's great! Love this truck and great to have it back. Really could have used it after hurricane Irma. Merry Christmas!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online