Dumb things you have done truck wise!

Kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt my motor in my backyard under a tarp over the winter. It has had a few leaks, since the rebuild, valve cover gaskets, front dampener, which I fixed, but it still had a leak from the oil cooler housing near the oil filter.
And I had used the metal gasket, i did not know at the time they were not recommended. So I pull off the oiler cooler and I had not installed any gasket on the rear mount. I guessed I missed it, well I have zero leaks now for the first time.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first heard about WMO, I "filtered" some oil out of a old drum I had (I had the pump way too deep in the drum) through an old sock. Got about a mile down the road and my new faucet electric pump said "NO". Got rid of the electric pump, got a little more elaborate with my filtering.......kinda, and now I drive on the WMO with less problems.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, this thread is like the "oil burners AA", so I guess I should say, "hello, my name is Jesus Freak, and I drive an under powered mechanically injected diesel"...... and everyone else kinda murmurs......"heeyyyy Jesus Freak......."

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A while back my buddy got a late 90s GM 3500 dually, think it's a 460 or close but the first fill up he put probably $100 of diesel in the tanks. It ended up all getting drained and sorted out... he's driven that thing back and forth across the country with single digit MPG the whole time - I always say "you gotta get a diesel" and he's like "I thought I did".

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But sticking to topic: I just do things like put the brake pedal sensor upside down so the rear lights never turn off...
Or put trim pieces on top the cab and forget about them..
Or put things inside the engine bay and forget about them...

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I… don’t think… that I should begin to try to say all the dumb stuff I’ve done… I’ve broken timing advance arms on DB2 injection pumps… twice… broke a rocker arm bolt while trying to torque it… with the engine running… yeah don’t ever, ever do that… shortly I put the 7.3 in my 86 I melted both batteries into puddles and fried all my battery cables, because the new positive cable was up against the exhaust manifold, and when the coating melted, so did my batteries… that was an expensive mistake… and there are many other mistakes… not all on this truck of course… made way more mistakes on that 63 I had, buying it in the first place was the first mistake…

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hung up a tree near a road. The tree was leaning away from the road. Hooked a chain to the butt end and pulled. The butt dug in and stayed put. The tree straightened up and then fell towards the truck. There was nothing I could do. The left front fender and the hood was slightly damaged (it was a big maple) - the roof and windshield was not. Insurance covered it.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first bolt I ever touched on an engine I over torqued and twisted the head off. I was 14, it was a fuel pump bolt on my sbc engine that was a Christmas present for my $500 1984 C10.

My dad came unglued!! I was able to get it out on my own. Learned a lesson that day!!

That pickup rusted out and it’s now my redneck trailer.

You must be registered for see images attach

FFW 22 years. Engine sat in an unconditioned shed for 12 years. Bought a 1988 Suburban with a blown engine. Had dad bring out that same sbc to Gunbarrel CO. Took the short block and swapped everything else over from that blown TBI. Still running fine to this day.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.......(muffled cough) heeyyyy @rreegg ,@Nero ,@ttman4 , @Cant Write , @Kdo58 , @Greenie , @KansasIDI ,.......

ALRIGHT OIL BURNERS!!!! This is it, spill the beans!!! We know you're holding back....... @XOLATEM !, you're up! And we don't want a previous story about a lack of cupholders and coffee going out the window, WE WANT THE DIRT!!!

Actually, this would be a better thread for the "lounge" that way the "uninitiated" wouldn't be welcome.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@XOLATEM !, you're up! And we don't want a previous story about a lack of cupholders and coffee going out the window, WE WANT THE DIRT!!!
Actually...I do have a coupla stories that I have been saving for the time that I can sit down and remember them in gory detail...probably when it is too cold to work on the house...

I have alluded to them before in other posts...and have not had the time or been in the frame of mind to relate them to you guys...

This new topic fits pretty good with at least one of them...and I could probably start a new thread on the other one...

As far as recent dumb things...well...running over one of The Girl's welding helmets with the Ol' One-Ton....that was dumb...but...I had it coming....you guys saw the picture in one of my posts...

Some time ago...when Ol' One-Ton was getting re-fitted...I ordered window felt for it...you know... the scrapers for the door windows...

...and I ordered them for an '85...and then tried to put them on...

I had ignored my own mantra...'Assume Nothing'...

Turns out that my door panels must be from an '87...did not work...

*All I woulda hafta do was to read the part number on the panel....

*But NOOOOOOO....

...and then....I wanted to put in door speakers...and ordered them for an '85...too large for the holes...and I will not butcher my doors...

See asterisks above....

I must have a pair of '87 doors...and did not realize it...

Anybody need window felt for an '85..? I will send it to you just to get it out of my spare parts box...

I love my truck, though...it is my 'Swiss Army Knife'...

Lately The Girl has been cracking Black Walnuts with the vise on the back...that Girl is tenacious...have you ever tried to get a good amount of nut out of a Black Walnut..?

She made home-made Black Walnut ice cream with the results...
Doesn't take a lot of nuts to flavor the ice cream...so...turns out you can use it more like an herb instead of a main dish...

Life sure is interesting...especially with an older diesel truck...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
For several years, back in the 90's, I had a 1975 F150 that someone had swapped a 1971 429 into. I guess I did most of my dumbest stuff in that. Not all, just most of the dumbest. I had a friend whose sister was driving a 1989(?) Mercury Tracer. The ones that were their own car, not just a rebadged E scort. I had noticed it sitting in a parking lot right off of the highway just over half way on my 50 mile drive to work. After a couple of weeks, I happened to be visiting the friend and we saw her. I asked why the car was sitting. She told me that it had broken down. I offered to drive my truck to work the next day with a trailer and bring it back to town for her. Naturally she accepted. Since it was Saturday, I only had to work until noon. The smart thing would have been to leave, pick up the car, and drop it off. Of course, I went to see my girlfriend instead. The hours went by and I finally left to get the car at about 10:00 at night. My plans to load the car went awry. After about an hour of trying, a guy in a white Suburban drove up and asked if he could help. We got the car loaded and it was about perfect on the trailer. I was tired and just wanted to get home at that point. As I was driving, I kept going a little faster and a little faster. I got up to about 80MPH by the time that I had a stop sign on a cross highway. No cars were coming at that time of night so I though "F... it!" I put my foot down and let that big old gas hog come to life. I was driving 105 pulling that car on the trailer and I could barely tell that it was back there. I did that for 7 or 8 miles before I had to slow down for a sharp curve in the road. I didn't do that after the curve, but I sure was awake. I never did tell her about how fast her car could go. Nothing bad happened, but it sure could have. There's no way that I'd try that these days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online