How about stacks?

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The real question is how functional are they?

Do you smell more or less exhaust with stacks while say... having the truck idle in the driveway, stopping at a light, loading something into the bed with the truck running? I would be interested to know.

I have never had them but I figure that is what really matters, If i cared what people who judge me by my ride think i probably wouldnt be driving a 20 year old truck; figure most people on here think the same.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
OP, do you have a picture of your truck. i think the biggest thing about stacks is what truck they are going on.

some trucks look good with stacks, others....not so good.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
IMHO first and foremost its your truck do with it as you see fit dont let anyone (except your wife) stop you doing what you think will look good on your truck (unless it breaks local DOT laws).

Second off personally I wouldnt put stacks on but well made stacks do look good (not the 55gal drums in the truck bed...) and as previously stated some trucks look better then others. Frankly unless your tractor pulling (required upturned tailpipe around here) theres no reasson beyond looks regular under chasis exhaust wouldnt work on our trucks (big rigs have stacks due to lack of between frame space and an attempt to get it up over the trailers).

Third any good thread needs pictures :)

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Third any good thread needs pictures :)

Despite not likeing stacks, i do like the single stack i have on my ranger. It seems to fit with the truck pretty well in that the truck looks like shi@t, and the stack looks like shi@t. LOL
You must be registered for see images

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stacks are appropriate on a Peterbuilt or Kenworth, not on a ford pick up. your wife has very goood taste. as far as benefit, none, over a good exhaust system.stacks, black smoke, rolling the coal, whatever, have made it easier for the EPA to make the clean air act more restrictive. you want stacks go buy a pete or kw or whatever big truck you like, keep the pick ups clean.

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck came with the stack when I bought it so it stays. But you should definitely be very aware of "The Little Black Dots" as previously mentioned. This goes for your truck, anyone parked near your truck (Your wife's car:mad:) and anything in the back of your truck. I recently helped the in laws move and everything I hauled in my truck had to be wiped down from the soot.

I was almost surrounded and beaten by angry granola eating hippies driving Outbacks and Priuses on my last trip down NW 23rd:rotflmao

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
I love my stacks. Just simple 4 inch chrome turn outs that are 2 inch's above the cab. Its loud in the cab and that didn't bug me, but now I think it time to quiet it down so soon it gets a muffler, but other than that I have found the soot issues to be minimal, and I don't smell any fumes unless theres a breeze. I vote stacks!

Reaction score
I like my 4 inch straight pipe in front of the rear wheel sounds cool I can hear the turbo and people driving around me think its to loud.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jake, you fogging for skeeters?

If you aren't going to listen to your wife, I seriously doubt you are going to listen to any differing opinion from random guys on the internet. That being said, you should definitely get stacks. Then you can be as cool as this guy*
You must be registered for see images attach

*except he IS cool because he put a stack on his rabbit

DragRag

Reaction score
Truck nuts=gay

Stacks=sort of gay

Brahma Bull sticker=lame

Mississippi look=out of date

Giant lift=useless vanity

44" tires=just useless

NMB2 engine=defeats idi purpose (cheap reliable, long lasting engine)

But we do live in America, and that's what makes it great, freedom to do what we like within reason of sorts.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Giant lift=useless vanity

44" tires=just useless

NMB2 engine=defeats idi purpose (cheap reliable, long lasting engine)

But we do live in America, and that's what makes it great, freedom to do what we like within reason of sorts.

Lets see here, giant lift = great for mud bogging

44" tires = great for mud or extreme rock crawling (kind of crawling your typical full size cant do)

NMB2 = his old engine (now cummins) was cheap reliable and long lasting...thats alright your get them right next time

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL!! Does that VW with the stack have a Peterbilt emblem on the grill??

So according to some here, like Mobilemech, stacks are completely inappropriate to have on a pickup...did anyone ever mention that to Dodge with their Lil Red Express truck?? I say that if you dont like stacks then snicker to yourself all you want and dont put em on...for those who do like stacks, I say hell yeah, let the coal roll...

I bet nobody knows that stacks on a class 8 truck are ALL optional. The basic exhaust is the same as 95% of the car haulers have, where it comes out behind the bunk and under the frame either pointing down or out the side...

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys think stacks look hideous on a pickup....what about this??

Attachments

• mustang stacks.jpg
    mustang stacks.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 71

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726