Homemade POP Tester

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was the 11mm inverted flare connection the major failure point. if not, what was the cause of your failure?

thanks

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey David I'm going to PM you my phone number in case you want to talk further. Honestly I am not sure what the failure point on my tester was even now. I had no visible leaks, and without an injector installed I could easily pump fuel through the system. It seems like the problem was once I got to 100 psi or so somewhere there was a leak. I never did find it and got frustrated/gave up. This can be done, I assume you have seen the videos of homemade testers on youtube that work pretty well. I can offer you some reassurance about your rebuilt injectors, that is that you can pretty much ignore what is stamped on there. All the codes are more or less obsolete, and pretty much all the new and rebuilt injectors out there are being built as BB for most IDI applications or the G codes for the factory turbo pumps. If you like what you see when you pop test your injectors throw them in there and don't worry about it, if not make Pensacola Diesel make it right by you.

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks again JD for the line and the info.
based on what you said about a leakdown in the system, i would take a good look at the pressure relief screw on the bottom of your pump(i am assuming you are using a bottle jack) to ensure there is a good seal there. then, if it is possible, have a look at the system that allows fluid to flow into the small piston that connects to the pump handle but not back(usually a check valve of some sort) this is also likely the same metod used to stop reverse flow from the high pressure side back to the pump handle piston. this is the most likely source of your leak down because if you didnt get absolutely everything out of the supply fluid side, then a contaminant could very easily have damaged whatever system it uses to stop reverse flow. if there is damage to either of those systems, then you will be better off getting a new jack and starting over.

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put my tester together last night and at first I was having some leakdown at a few fittings. Once I tightened it all down I still couldn't get any pressure. It didn't occur to me what the problem was until this morning when I woke up. With the rod in place, the seal at it's base is the main seal and the nut on top doesn't need to create a seal so it has to be where the leakdown is.

I am going to need to use some type of thread sealer. Not sure what to use but am leaning towards red locktight. Any better suggestions?