Homemade POP Tester

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will be building my own pop tester soon and i am in need of an injector line for the setup. would anyone like to donate a spare line they have lying around to my project? i will pay for shipping.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be able to hook you up and would gladly do so. Let me see what I have laying about and I'll PM you. Free+ shipping, shouldn't be too much from Florida to Houston.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
i will be building my own pop tester soon and i am in need of an injector line for the setup. would anyone like to donate a spare line they have lying around to my project? i will pay for shipping.

Me too...

I have an assortment of parts to build a tester, but I need an injector line as well.

David, what size bottle jack did you use? I have a 1.5 ton unit here I was thinking about cannibalizing for the cause. :sly

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am debating between a 2 ton $16 new one from walmart or a free one from my neighbor that might be more trouble than its worth. it has a slow leak and i dont think it will be fixable.

i am also thinking about having a little fun with this by using the motor out of an old portable air compressor to do the pumping for me:sly this could be an interesting build

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
i am debating between a 2 ton $16 new one from walmart or a free one from my neighbor that might be more trouble than its worth. it has a slow leak and i dont think it will be fixable.

i am also thinking about having a little fun with this by using the motor out of an old portable air compressor to do the pumping for me:sly this could be an interesting build

We have a 120 volt portapower pump here that makes 60 tons of pressure... I wonder if they would notice if I took it home for "pop testing"

:D

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it would mostly be for getting it up to pressure. then switch over to the hand pump method.

Pele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake line from the local auto parts store won't work?

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I bought I line at Pick and Pull for 3 or 4 bucks.:sly

That's as far as I've gotten though.

I would think brake line would be rated for the pressure but not sure if it would have the right connection.:dunno

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
between my wife and i being full time students in college and having 2 kids and a job and with her taking tae kwon do and the damn grass growing so fast that it needs to be cut every week, i dont have time to make the 2 hour round trip to the nearest pick a part and the next closest one is another 20 min or so away. i have lost all faith in the local scrap yards after my search for a steering column turned up a low price of $150 without the steering wheel. pick a part took $53 for the column, wheel, ignition switch, and rag joint.

i thought about the brake line, but i dont have a spare injector lying around to locate a proper fitting. with these pressures, i dont want to have a failure

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Next time I see some I will probably grab them all.

I took two or three and left the rest not knowing how much they'd be.:dunno

Turned out they were real cheap.

Funny thing was the only one missing was the one from the filter to IP which is what I really needed, bunged mine up a while back.:mad:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@david_lee you really need to just build pressure by hand. If your tester is tight enough to hold the pressure it should be almost immediate. Also everybody, remember safety with these things, if the injector gets your skin it could be a very serious and even fatal injury along the lines of a high pressure paint injection. If it got you in the eyes it would almost surely lead to your loss of that eye. I think I have a couple of these lines laying around. I know I have one I can let go.
@Plywood, you can replace your filter to IP fittings in a couple much cheaper ways than a new hard line. You can cut both ends off your current hard line and use the ends which are special with an appropriately sized piece of diesel rated fuel hose. You could also make a hydraulic hose cut to length with the appropriate end pieces. I bought one of these from tractorman86. He charged me 30 bucks for it, I thought that was more than reasonable for him to do all the work of getting the hose made and making sure to get the correct combination of O-ring boss and JIC fittings. It fit like a glove and for the first time since I did job#1 on the fuel system, the IP didn't leak! If he's still here and offering that service I'll vouch that he makes an excellent product. If you want to try and do it yourself you could make it happen, you'd just have to make sure all the fittings were right and the hose length as well. I'll post back with my findings about the line. For those wanting to match it up themselves I think 11mm inverted flare is just about perfect. Good luck all.

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was guessing that it would take more than a few pumps to clear the line and build pressure, but i dont have any experience with a tester. as far as the the injector output goes, i plan to use a piece of lexan as a barrier between me and all pressurized parts of the tester.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Thanks Diesel JD.

It's actually the ends that I screwed up.

One of those days when only God knows what was going through my head.cookoo
I was having a leak problem and realized the hard line had been bent previously, placing sideways pressure on the fitting at the IP.
I did a great job of carefully getting it bent back to shape so that both ends met up perfectly with their respective locations.;Sweet
I had to drive it though and thought if I reused the olives they would leak so I added a Viton o-ring in there and tightened it down pretty tight which actually clamped down on the hard line enough to pinch it in a perfect circle, effectively reducing its diameter.:rolleyes:

Right now it's doing Ok, so I figured if I can pick up a line at Pick and Pull for 3 or 4 bucks I would do that. I might take it into a hydraulic lines place nearby and see how much it would cost to make something.:dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The design of the supply line is stupid in my opinion and you were thinking along the correct lines about trying to improve that seal. I can't understand why it would pinch the line enough to squish it. That's really pretty strange. The hydraulic hose from tractorman seems like a "why didn't I think of that" great solution.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle