Holley Red are garbage, what else quickly?

SouthernIDI

Reaction score
I built a regulate high pressure system for the same amount of money it costed me to install the garbage 40222 from facet.
I would never suggest that anyone goes to a low pressure pump.
Source your own parts and build your own high pressure system, you could put a whole system together for around $250 using
a Walbro high pressure pump, Holley bypass regulator, filter heads, and filters.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i run nothing but holley pumps.
the holley red i have on my 87 F350, has been on since 2016. zero issues
the holley red i have in my 68 pontiac has been on since 2007
ive got several vehicles with these pumps, i rarely have a problem.

in diesel applications, i would recommend a water/fuel Seperator first,
if you subject it to water, it will gum up the veins.

Attachments

• 92571232_116597780005062_4785936608312426496_n.jpg
    92571232_116597780005062_4785936608312426496_n.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 30

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i run nothing but holley pumps.
the holley red i have on my 87 F350, has been on since 2016. zero issues
the holley red i have in my 68 pontiac has been on since 2007
ive got several vehicles with these pumps, i rarely have a problem.

in diesel applications, i would recommend a water/fuel Seperator first,
if you subject it to water, it will gum up the veins.
Ooh yeller filter$$$

Part # for the filter heads?

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there are other Ford Trucks/Cars that use an electric Fuel Pump that might work that are OEM/NOS
I’ve wondered about this as well, but not just Ford. The DB2 injection pump was used in tons of applications, and I would think a lift pump from any of them would work well for us. I can’t remember if the GM 6.2 or 6.5 used an electric lift pump, but one of them does.

For myself, I must have gotten lucky with my facet 40222. Everyone else seems to have problems but mine has been great for the last two years, even running great on a 50/50 mixture of diesel and oil when it was 18 degrees the other day.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve wondered about this as well, but not just Ford. The DB2 injection pump was used in tons of applications, and I would think a lift pump from any of them would work well for us. I can’t remember if the GM 6.2 or 6.5 used an electric lift pump, but one of them does.

For myself, I must have gotten lucky with my facet 40222. Everyone else seems to have problems but mine has been great for the last two years, even running great on a 50/50 mixture of diesel and oil when it was 18 degrees the other day.
Gravity feed, it's what's on the horizon. No more fuel pump, just a big tank rachet strapped to the roof or hood. It's genius, one less thing that can break, and the elimination of "the weakest link"!

SouthernIDI

Reaction score

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Gravity feed, it's what's on the horizon. No more fuel pump, just a big tank rachet strapped to the roof or hood. It's genius, one less thing that can break, and the elimination of "the weakest link"!
Then you would need a pump to lift the fuel up into the tank for the return system... probably...

ISPKI

Reaction score
If Big Earl ever needs to get converted to an electric lift pump then I will likely spring for one of these Walbro pumps. Seem to have far better ratings than the Facets and Holleys.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MI8vu2oYbsggMV20ZHAR1JVQ-IEAQYBiABEgJ73PD_BwE

Rated for 18,000hrs continuous duty in diesel application minimum. Something I have always wondered about the Holley pumps is that they dont seem to say anything about running diesel. We know theyre used frequently in hot rodding and that seems to be their intended purpose, but they may have longevity issues with pushing diesel fuel. Personally, for the price, I would want to see that the pump is designed for diesel service, but maybe it doesnt matter as much as I think. As others have noted, they have been running holleys for a decent period of time without issues.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well @less than $20.00 a year it looks like idiots beta testing prove a better value than the faccett...
My only gripe is how loud it is.
If it fails, I'm putting the 40k oem unit back in.

Eta
I bet #2 is easier on the seals than the sh it ty cocktail in cali that passes for "gas" let it sit awhile and watch the carnage...

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I would use a basic Carter one in a pinch.
The Carter 4070's have also taken a huge turn for the worst. I was running exclusively Carters on various things up until about 3 years ago, the newer ones would only last me maybe 500hrs or less. Installed correctly. The old ones, seemed to run indefinitely.

I have 6 Carter 4070's on the shelf, that have failed super early. I have yet to tear into them to see what exactly is failing. Im thinking something in the electrical side of it.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Well @less than $20.00 a year it looks like idiots beta testing prove a better value than the faccett...
My only gripe is how loud it is.
If it fails, I'm putting the 40k oem unit back in.

Eta
I bet #2 is easier on the seals than the sh it ty cocktail in cali that passes for "gas" let it sit awhile and watch the carnage...
My concern is if the seals in a gasoline rated pump are made of Buna N rubber, which I believe is common for gasoline applications, that same rubber degrades rapidly when in contact with biodiesel. AFAIK, all over road diesel in the US is ~10% biodiesel (maybe thats not the case everywhere, but every pump around me says that on it) which could degrade a pump designed for gasoline prematurely.

This is the same reason why the return line O-Rings are supposed to be Viton, because traditional O ring material (Buna N) wont hold up to biodiesel for very long.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"If Big Earl ever needs to get converted to an electric lift pump then I will likely spring for one of these Walbro pumps. Seem to have far better ratings than the Facets and Holleys"

What seems to be the problem with facet pumps? I'm running one and have had no issues. I'm not opposed to running something better when this one eventually fails.