Help: Something bad just happened

JohnZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I just made a run down to a local parts store and picked up some gauges. I got a 20 lb boost gauge and a three gauge set with a water temp, oil pressure and volt meter. Figured I would swap out the boost for the volt meter on the bracket. Now I just need to get a pyro. But ...

When I started up the truck to drive home, at first it ran and sounded good, but before I got out of the parking lot, there was a little jolt and all of a sudden the engine started running really rough. It got really loud sounding like the timing was way advanced. I looked in the mirror to see if it was smoking oddly and it looked good. Initially it just sounded loud and was running a bit rough, so I decided to limp the few miles to get back home to all of my tools. On the way home the engine would run just fine for a little while, and then run rough for a while. The temp gauge was running hotter than normal and it smelled a bit weird, kind of like coolant but also like when I had a fuel leak a while ago, so I stopped part way home but did not see any evidence of any leaks. I wanted to be certain I did not have an injector line leaking or something like that. So I started it back up again and went the last three miles back home. During these last three miles, if this were an old gas engine, I would say that I had problems with my distributor cap / rotor or other ignition problems. The engine was sputtering periodically, accelerated and smoked like I was pulling 10k. The smoke was black like it always has been, and I did have to put my foot into it like I was pulling 10k. I did not see any hint of blue or white smoke, but the smoke was gray for a second right after taking my foot out of it when slowing down - just like it always has. The other odd symptom was the transmission did NOT want to shift at it's usual points. I had to lift my foot before the transmission would shift up to the next gear. That one did not make any sense to me, there is no vacuum like on a gasser to control the shift points. I doubt that a transmission problem could cause the engine to run bad like this, especially when at idle with the transmission in Park.

In summary,

runs rough
sputters periodically and not consistently (I.E. not consistent like a rod knock)
lack of power
idles louder than usual
transmission not shifting right

Some of my thoughts of possible problems ...

Injection pump bit the dust
Injector(s) failed
leaking fuel line(s)
blown head gasket
failed lifter(s)
Cracked head & / or block (Please NO on this one!)
Cylinder wall leaking coolant (Please NO on this one!)

What really bums me out is I just the camshaft core that I plan on sending in to get reground. Now I have to figure out what is wrong with this thing before I can start putting a new cam into it, and I cannot go get a before dyno test with what every is wrong with it now.

The IP and Injectors have less than 4 years or 5k miles on them, both were installed by Gillette Diesel Service here in Utah. They are a factory authorized Standyne re-builder and the only shop I can find around here that will even touch the IDI engine. When they did the work, they said that the injectors were a matched set to all pop at the same pressure, and that the pump had been built to factory turbo specs. (O.K. I do not drive this truck much, it is just for hauling our travel trailer and other heavy hauling as needed)

If it turns out that this engine is toast, I think that I would end up doing a DT360 swap. I love this truck and the simplicity of the engine, I have had the truck for four years now and have nearly spent more time fixing it up than on the road. I thought I had everything fixed up now and was ready to start improving things with a cam etc. But what now ...

If anyone has any suggestions for what I should look at first, please let me know.

Thanks in advance - John Z

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pull the valve covers and look for a broken /burnt valve spring.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a few thoughts....
a) how long ago did you fuel up? contaminated fuel?
b) you say the pump has been on for five years, how many miles do you drive a year?
c) when running, is the upper radiator hose hard as a rock or soft?

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pull the valve covers and look for a broken /burnt valve spring.

x2
could be something as simple as a fuel filter though , I would go ahead and change it anyways to rule that out. Fill it with atf before you put it back on. is there oil in the coolant? if not then your block is probably fine. do both fuel tanks work?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like the injection pump is gummed up. Changing the filter is a good idea but make sure you fill it with something to cut the gum. Atf will work fine. As posted... Did you just fill the tanks... Maybe you have some "stuff" growing in the tanks. That could be costly too. When you remove the fuel filter look closely at the top and post back what you find... Hopefully its just a dirty filter. Also look in the air cleaner and intake hose to it. Sometimes rats and squirels make nests in them and that cuts off the air to the motor... another real easy fix... Buy a cat....:eek::D

JohnZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a few things to check out. Thanks for the pointers. I am still trying to get my daily driver back on the road too. I have to get that one working by Wednesday of next week as I have a 2000 mile road trip starting then.

Back to truck - I was using it to get parts for the D.D. now I have two vehicles down - Ouch.

Items I will check ...

Pull the valve covers and check the springs.
Pull and replace the fuel filter and report back what I see there.
Check the upper radiator hose.
Look for oil in the coolant ... What do I look for, or is it obvious?
Check the intake for restrictions. - (Off topic here - We have an "Attack Cat" that keeps the mice, voles, big dogs, and cougars out of the area. I am amazed that this cat has survived, but one day years ago, he saved one of our little ones when a stray pit bull was running full steam at our baby in the front yard, I was too far away to do anything, but then a yellow streak hit it full steam, blood and fur flying, thought the cat was dead, but the dog took off like a bullet and the cat came back purring up a storm with a "yeah I'm bad" look on it's face. He has "Protected" our kids ever since. - We will be sad the day this cat passes on.)
Last fuel up - About 3 weeks and 150 miles ago, out camping, ran both tanks to E on that trip too. Filled rear tank and 2/3 of front tank from same pump then the last 1/3 of the front tank from a red-dye diesel pump they had at the same station. Ran on the front tank back home and the first leg of todays trip, she ran noticeably better with some of the Red Dye mixed in. Today, I switched over to the rear tank, drove about 15 miles from the VW dealership to Checker's to get the gauges for the truck. It was when leaving checker's that it started mis-behaving. I did switch back to the front tank once it started acting up as bad fuel was one of my first thoughts. But it does not rule out water in the fuel filter - that sensor wire keeps falling off too, so I will check that first thing. I have been draining it at the start of each camping season and have never seen water drain out. The filter is 5 years old, so probably time to change it. I typically put less than 1,000 miles per year on this truck though, and usually only need to fill it up every 4-6 months.

Hopefully I can get all of this checked out today, but I do have to get that VW back on the road first.

Thanks everyone - John Z

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last part about how the filter is probably five-years old and the truck is seldom driven, sitting for long periods of time, all point toward a prime suspect for "algae" contamination in the fuel-tanks.

Two things you should do, regardless of whether something else is causing your issue, is to install a GoldenRod sediment-bowl/pre-filter AHEAD of the main fuel-filter and REPLACE that old filter RIGHT NOW.

Cut away the tin sides of the old filter and dump the contents onto a clean white paper for examination.

Regardless of miles driven, that fuel-filter should be changed yearly.

If your tanks are not full of "algae", it is a miracle.

The GoldenRod sediment-bowl will capture all the big clumps of "algae", where you can actually see them settle out into the bottom of the bowl, and prevent them from pre-maturely clogging the main fuel-filter.

Honestly, though, I do not think that your immediate problem is filter related. :dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
With that low a usage , I'd be real suspicious of critters in the tank myself ( algae ) Sounds like you need to get a jug of Kill-em or some other straight fuel biocide and treat your fuel hard. I just can't imagine your tanks surviving that kind of storage unless you've been treating them with biocide every time you park it and leaving the tanks full other wise they are a breading ground for condensation and critters.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
WOW, talk about half empty type thinking.

These rigs are fairly robust. Normally it's just something simple. Prolly a $20 FF. Or a busted off fuel pickup?

Not a toasted engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online