Something different

vonRow

Reaction score
Just a simple off the wall, random question for y'all: has anyone ever stuffed one of these engines into a tractor? I have 3 dead tractors in my filed row, and 5 engines. 4 6.9's and a 7.3 All of the engines are still in their original (and rotting away) trucks. If you have done this kind of swap, please share your experience. If you have strong opinions on why NOT to, or that it would be a waste of effort/time/engine/truck...etc etc. -keep it to yourself. I know it can be done. I've even seen one or two on display, but their owners were not around to explain the ins and outs of what made it all fit. What do you know? What have you seen?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a simple off the wall, random question for y'all: has anyone ever stuffed one of these engines into a tractor? I have 3 dead tractors in my filed row, and 5 engines. 4 6.9's and a 7.3 All of the engines are still in their original (and rotting away) trucks. If you have done this kind of swap, please share your experience. If you have strong opinions on why NOT to, or that it would be a waste of effort/time/engine/truck...etc etc. -keep it to yourself. I know it can be done. I've even seen one or two on display, but their owners were not around to explain the ins and outs of what made it all fit. What do you know? What have you seen?
I have no experience with swapping engines into tractors, but I always though these engines would be GREAT for something like this. I want to use one for a generator…

My dad worked for a farm that swapped a 6.9 into a Gleaner combine, back when he was in high school. My understanding is, that is what instigated his dislike for these engines… and then the early 6.0 that he bought ruined any affinity he had left for Ford Diesels…

He doesn’t seem too against the 7.3 powerstrokes, other than their lack of power, although they have more than an IDI…

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They actually have flathead, 300I6, and 302 kits for the old 8Ns, it was made by a company called "Funk" and thus called a "Funk conversion", they did stuff with airplanes too.

But yeah, go for it. I'd recommend a 4wd tractor, because these engines weigh 900lb and if you don't have wide tires that pull the front end is going down.

vonRow

Reaction score
Ya, the Funk conversion kits for the N were neat. My other half has laid claim to the N and has made me swear to "just leave it stock." She says I can take any of the others and fiddle with them. But that N is hers. It's allowed new paint and oem parts to make it move. That's ok. I've got 2 Farmall Ms and a 400 in the row. All of them are good from the clutch back the PTO. Even the TA on the 400 is sound. But the motor is hatched. (Spun bearings, lunched head gasket, and barely anything for compression or oil pressure --not enough to run. Engine turns over by hand without a wrench. ) I thought about doing the gasket and cylinder sleeves. But I think the block is cracked internally. And then I'd have to have the block bored for bearings.... That's pretty much the deal breaker. There are no shops within 4 hours of my location that do block work any more. I'd have to ship the booger somewhere and hope it gets there. Hope it passes spec to get worked, and hope it makes it back to me without issues. All the while waiting for the thing to get done. (about a 5 month wait on the one place that did have an opening)

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't try to balance a 900lb engine over a tricycle front end. I'd like a flathead 8 on a 8N..... with a Sherman step down.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I certainly wouldn't try to balance a 900lb engine over a tricycle front end.
This may get me kicked off OB but this spring soon as I get my shop finished I.m thinking bout installing one of my 6.9's in/on my wife's wheelbarrows. She can go shopping all she wants, when she wants! Only thing, after @Jesus Freak mentioned it, it may be a little heavy on front end????

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On you tube someone had a 7.3 idit in a tractor no idea if it was still functional or just a fun “racer”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online