Help: I can't get my #@##$$%%^^&&^$fan clutch off

oldoiler

Reaction score
I am in the process of exchanging engines in my "86 f250. I need to get the fan clutch off on engine and on to the other. I know the clutch is screwed on with reverse threads. I don't have the special tools mentioned in the service manual. I can get a wrench onto the hex nut no problem. I don't have anyway to keep the waterpump hub/pully from turning. I tried to grip the pulley with a strap wrench with no success. These engines are 6.9 diesels.Any suggestions for those who have been there? Thanks

Reaction score
I've had the most luck with a sharp punch and a hammer. Plant your punch in a good spot on the nut and give it a good rap or two with the hammer. It usually spins off pretty easily after that.

Good luck

Paul

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
You have to make sure you leave the V belts on to keep the water pump pulley from spinning you will never beable to get the fan off with the v belts off. The one option is find a store that will rent you the proper wrench or go buy a open end wrench for the size of nut and grind it thinner so it will fit in the space.

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
I made a tool...but you could probly just back one of the pulley bolts out and stick a box wrench around it. Rotate the water pump pulley clockwise till the wrench hits the crankshaft pulley. Now you should have it locked enough to get the reverse threads loose. At least that is what the tool I made did...worked on two fans. Good luck.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Before I got the wrenches, I used to lodge a long screw driver between the nut heads & turn until it catches on something to stop it, then break the nut free.

Where are you located?

oldoiler

Reaction score
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I was able to remove the fan clutches on both engines.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6point9diesel said:
I've had the most luck with a sharp punch and a hammer. Plant your punch in a good spot on the nut and give it a good rap or two with the hammer. It usually spins off pretty easily after that.

Good luck

Paul

Hmmm... I'll tell ya Paul. Guys like you make it hard for guys like me who have the right tools. Exekiel had his truck over here the other weekend, and the nut was so buggered up by the punch and hammer method, that the proper tool almost couldn't get it off (because the nut was distorted and the wrench wouldn't fit). I say get the right tool, and don't be a butcher. ;)

Reaction score
Mel, I had to count to ten before posting...I'm feeling a little verklempt...J/K

I can always use some criticism. And you're right, no matter how careful you are when you hit that thing with a hammer and punch the nut gets deformed. It's best to take it off with a wrench. I know of a few guys that have borrowed them from a local mechanic.

But when you need to get it in the field, everyone has a hammer and punch. Not everyone has a Ford Part Number "" in their bag of tricks. I'd get the tool if I needed to remove that thing more often, or was working on someone elses rig.

Paul

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Agnem said:
Exekiel had his truck over here the other weekend, and the nut was so buggered up by the punch and hammer method, that the proper tool almost couldn't get it off (because the nut was distorted and the wrench wouldn't fit). I say get the right tool, and don't be a butcher. ;)

I will add that i did not install that fan clutch in the engine neither ever removed it, i'm the kind of Mel guy I try to use the right tool not allways hammer.

Exekiel.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you forgot to mention too, EZ, is that the person who put that on using the chisel and hammer method, barely had it on there. EZ and I were bracing ourselves for a big fight with it, and we just tapped it and it just about fell off in our hands. I wasn't trying to raise the ire of anyone who uses the punch and hammer method, I'm just suggesting it's best left as a last resort. Your right of course, in that one must do what one must do when there are no options. Strangely, when I bought my $75 NAPA fan wrench, I thought I'd only use it once, to do the water pump on the Moose Truck, but in the time since, I think I'm up to about a dozen times now. I think it paid for itself handsomely.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
:rotflmao there was Mel and I was standing on the front end of the truck all ready for a great push (i really do fit on the front end), i think we could have removed it by hand. But we certainly did put it back the right way :D thank you Mel.

Exekiel.

Reaction score
All good, Mel. No worries.

Good thing the fan on Exekiel's rig didn't spin off on shut down! Turn a bad situation to worse in a hurry.

Paul

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
don't see what the big deal is.

adjustable wrench and a lil hooked crowbar and mine popped off without too many problems.
pulling it out with the shroud was more of a pain than unscrewing it.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Yup same with me. Big adjustable wrench, a pipe on it for a little more torque and a cro bar jamed in the nut heads on the pulley to keep the fan and pulley all from spinning. Took a while but finally got it without damaging anything.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I went to NAPA and used there loan a tool, there kit has a wrench that will grab the bolts on the pully so it won't spin while you put a wrench on the nut. Prob is that you need the correct size wrench, the one with the kit is too small. I had to borrow that too,..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk