help burn 8 quarts oil 350 mile trip

hotrod316

Reaction score
i just put this engine in my truck i bought a hole truck from some guy said it was a rebuilt jasper.i put motor and trans in my truck and it smoked pretty bad from the beginning , but ididint think to muck about it .i thought it was from sitting .with that said i just just went 350 miles with truck i topped of oil before i left and went about 350 miles and truck was out of oil .i know they burn oil ut that is a lot of oil .the truck seem to run fine as plenty of power and no blow by what good it valve guides ..thanks guys :dunno:dunno:dunnooh i had to add about 7 qts of oil

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a ton of oil in a short amount of time. If I were you, I'd pull it and start over. Rings and valve guides/seals come to mind. Rebuild it right and you'll have 300,000 miles of worry free service.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would have rebuilt the first one if i had the money to do that.

Sorry, I'm not trying to rain on your parade. But, there is obviously a big issue with the IDI you have now. Replacing it with another unknown engine may or maynot give you a better result. You can't keep driving it like that forever, and to fix it, it's going to take some serious work.

Heath

hotrod316

Reaction score
definitly cant drive this way to much cost me 40 bucks for 2 one gallon jugs of oil.. im just gonna start putting used oil in it

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it out and work it hard, Hook it to a loaded trailer and go pull some big hills or something.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Worn rings come to mind right off hand.
Engines that have high idle hours like towtrucks will kill a set of rings.
Had a towtruck engine swap that was consuming oil in the gallons per hour range!!!:eek:

But are you using the CDR valve from the donor engine or the one from the replaced engine?
Bd CDR valve will aid in oil consimption also.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like a canadate for some Auto RX. The rings may be set up with crap or rust if the sitting engine was not protected from moisture. Hopefully its something simple and not some seller lied to you about the engine mileage and use.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Mine used alot of oil untill I removed the CRD valve and installed a road draft tube.

I would try that first.

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a canadate for some Auto RX. The rings may be set up with crap or rust if the sitting engine was not protected from moisture. Hopefully its something simple and not some seller lied to you about the engine mileage and use.
+1 - at this point, you don't have a lot to lose by trying an oil additive that will potentially clean out the ring grooves in the pistons, as the oil control rings could be stuck. You can add a quart or two of ATF to the oil for this purpose as well. Good luck!

jbuck

Reaction score
Try a half can of Seafoam in crankcase. Seafoam is meant to re-disolve deposits. Like some have said what do you have to lose at this point.

Last edited:

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Are you sure its not leaking some place?

I would think if you were burning that much oil you would be leaving one heck of a smoke trail behind ya:dunno

What oil are you using?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle